Lest we forget

Started by Trevor, November 11, 2017, 07:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trevor

When you go home, tell them of us and say
    For their tomorrow, we gave our today. 

John Maxwell Edmonds
"You will be hollow. We shall squeeze you empty, and then we shall fill you with ourselves."
― George Orwell, 1984

Freedom Convoy Truckers -- Canadian Heroes!
Justin Trudeau --Enemy of the People!

binch

Lloyd and I have just returned from the vintage car hill rally in Honister slate mine in Cumbria.....FANTASTIC Day out and the newest car there was from 1937!!!!   Wow....don't hide it in a glass bubble...Drive it man!!!!!

But I have to say I was VERY disappointed to see less the 5% of the people there were wearing a poppy  >:(

And the average age of the everyone there was well old enough to know MUCH better!    I had one on my fleece and the other on my pack, and I carried it proudly!!!

Tomorrow we go to the rembrance parade in Sunderland and I'll where it there too!

I have four 6" poppies for the landy grilles which are there for the asking...

Lest we forget
Cheers, Bill

Bargrip

I guess you will be going to the Mobray park cenetaff in Sunderland? ;) 
That's my home city...

They shall grow not old, as we that are left to grow old.
Age shall not weary them,nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.

Robert Laurence Binyon.

Trevor

Lots of folks still showing respect in Canada Bill. I would always like to see more, but there has been an upswing in recent years I think, which is good.

Butterdome service was great as always. I think this was my 36th year of attending (probably 20 of those t the Butterdome) and Edmonton does not disappoint. They put on a very good service in memory of those who have served.
"You will be hollow. We shall squeeze you empty, and then we shall fill you with ourselves."
― George Orwell, 1984

B-Red

I went to the Beverly Cenetapfph. It's the oldest memorial in western Canada. 97 years old. 12 names on it are for World War One soldiers who lived in Beverly. The 395 Squadron air cadets do an awesome parade with members of the armed forces. I always find this service touches me and make me appreciate the freedoms that we enjoy today.
Lest we forget

binch

We went to the Sunderland memorial service yesterday and they didn't let me down one bit there!   

Two howitzers for effect, complete with the gun tractors.   The indicated the times through the event (and chased off the pigeons and seagulls)   And I think they were the honor guard too.

The parade was lead by two mounted Police and followed by:

4 regiment royal artillary
21 engineer regimental band
Light Dragoons
5 Med Regiment
3 rifles
Gurkha company
RAF Boulmer
HMS Calliope
many, many vets
and so many more.

Former 125 anti tank regiment royal artillery and POW on the Death Railway, Mr Len Gibson read off the "Far east POW prayer"
It was tough to keep a dry eye.........

And then there was GOD or next down the ladder yelling commands loud enough for ALL to hear!!

EXCELLENT service!!!!!

We will remember
Cheers, Bill

Trevor

There was an interesting editorial in Sunday's Sun on this subject of people not acknowledging the 2 minutes of silence. I am always at a service during this time frame so this is just not something I've witnessed firsthand recently. The gist of the article was, as the author was at an outdoor ceremony, he observed people strolling by, talking, go about their business, at the 11:00 hour.

I would like to think that folks here don't need that reminder. But perhaps I am wrong. In which case, a good Canadian way of capturing the matter...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kX_3y3u5Uo
― George Orwell, 1984