Engine hoist

Started by Gardenome, March 28, 2021, 08:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gardenome

Clutch giving me issues so would like to lift out the gearbox to take a look. Anyone in the Edmonton area have one I can borrow for a bit. Going to lift it in the cab. (Saw mike do it this way and looked reasonable).
Thanks,
Ian

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gardenome

Gardenome

But not the best reviews. Still hmmm...

Red90

Personally, I would suggest pulling the engine.  It is a nicer way to do it if you don't have a lift.  The amount of work is the same.

Gardenome

How do I pull the engine without a lift?

Red90

By lift I mean something that lifts the entire vehicle.

You need an engine crane. The thing you are asking for. What I'm saying is do not remove the gearbox. Remove the engine. It involves less crawling around on the ground and makes the clutch work easier.  Get someone to help that has done it before. You can have the engine out in 2 hours if you know all of the tricks.

ugly_90

You can rent a shop crane, but its a hassle to load/unload, and I need one so often I have one at home. I've also used a tractor and a skid steer bucket, and a gantry crane works well too.

I even know a guy that's used a hardwood tree, a pulley, and a wheelbarrow.

Don't go cheap or light if buying a shop crane, the one I have here has a 2-ton capacity, and is quite heavy steel. You may need less for a series engine, but you don't want to be buying it again when doing the job later on another vehicle.

You may also want a regular rolling floor jack and blocking to assist.

I've only done a few clutch changes on defenders with 2.5D. It seemed to be easier in that case to take the gearbox and tcase out, as the engine had already been worked on. A big pile of old dirt and mud needed to go when that tcase came out, it was worth it. I don't know about a series, their transmissions are a bit larger.

binch

someone must have an engine crane the could lend him ;-) ::)
Cheers, Bill

Gardenome

I've got a lead. May have pester him.

Gardenome

I've got a lead. May have pester him.

DBrands

I have one you can borrow. I'm southeast of Sherwood Park though, and only get as far as Old Strathcona during the week.
David B

1990 D90 - 200TDI

Gardenome

I've got one lined up. Thanks though.