Any interest in a September camping/ trail meet in Fort Macleod area?

Started by davis911s, June 15, 2017, 05:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davis911s

I am a new Land Rover owner, 73 Series 3 88", and am thinking of ways to contribute and meet owners.

Our family owns land just outside Fort Macleod on the river. We have a large building with full kitchen, water, electricity and a wood stove if it gets chilly. There are chairs and tables for around 100 if we need. There is room to park more trailers than we can ever get at a meet. Best part is there is also probably 20-30 acres with quad trails that will soon become Land Rover friendly :) )

I was thinking we could do a weekend meet with FREE camping. Those with more experience could come up fun mini "seminars" (winch seminar, steep angle approaches,) or "how to" maintenance classes on whatever to keep people active.

If people want more , it is only 30 minutes from the Porcupine Hills forest reserve with miles of trails, or 45 minutes from the Castle Mountain recreation area for those who want even more trails. People could camp free and use the spot as a launch to the other spots and return at night for the fire and socialization. Fort Macleod has the oldest Golf Course west of Winnipeg for the golfers, and it also has a really neat little old theatre.

This to be family, kid, dog friendly  (there are some farm cats there)

Its only 1.5 hours from Calgary, 2 hours from Medicine Hat, so central to the southern chapters :)

I have not thought far enough ahead to pick a date, I know people are usually busy in the summer so thats why I picked Sept. In the summer the land is right on the river so fun rafting or kayaking if the water is high enough, might still be warm enough in Sept???

Anyway, this is just an offer, feel free to post here or contact me if you have any suggestions or comments

Gardenome

I wonder if I could convince my crew to stop by for a pit stop on our way back from BC in august. Wouldn't have the rover, but would be neat to see your landy and your land.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Matt H

That sounds like a great offer, thank you. I'm sure many here would like to take you up on it, myself included.
No Road Except For Land-Rover.

binch

That is a very generous offer sir...thanks very much!!!    It sounds like a great idea to bring out the families for a meet and greet or info sessions.  And it's proximal for the folks in the south too.....   I'd be in for something like that!!!! ;)
Cheers, Bill

Chad M

Hey Davis, it looks like there might be some traction for this idea, now all we have to do is figure out how to keep our trucks running long enough to make the 40 minute trip, lol!

davis911s

I have had some people email and are interested.

I am thinking sometime in the first two weeks of Sept. I am off those 2 weeks so will plan weekend in there and let people know.

Interesting is that we are right on the old man river. I am not a fisherman but got a licence and caught 5 nice size trout on there in past 2 days. So that can be a fun option for people also.

davis911s

I was thinking the 2nd weekend in Sept, as I am going to Whitefish all this week. But due to this dry weather and fire ban in may not be much fun without fires at night? There are some trails here to go on but not lengthy ones as we can't leave the property also due to the OHV ban in the southern part of the province.

We may have to delay until spring? I am still up for it, but there was not a lot of interest expressed initially anyway

Thoughts?

Matt H

I'm certainly interested. But whenever suits you is good for me too. Late fall or spring. If I'm available I'm there  8)

Not 100% sure about the regulations for OHV's but as I understand it Land Rovers do not fall into that category? I always thought quads, side by sides and dirt bikes etc were OHV?
No Road Except For Land-Rover.

Red90

There are no OHV only areas down there, except the new provincial park, which is allowing some OHV use for two years before a complete closure to everyone.  Unfortunately, the new park covers the "really nice" trails south of highway 3   :'(  Make sure you know the park boundaries before planning any trips.

There is still a fair amount of open area, but that may change sooner than later...  There was also some talk that they were blanket closing any trails over 6000', but I have not seen anything official.

Red90

Here is the map: http://www.albertaparks.ca/media/6494096/castle-summer-map-guide.pdf

OHV only on the trails shown.  I'm not sure what there is east of the park.  North of highway 3 is still okay.

Trevor

Quote from: Red90 on August 30, 2017, 11:00 AM
There was also some talk that they were blanket closing any trails over 6000', but I have not seen anything official.

I would not be surprised if that is the direction they go. The Alberta Environment team we ran into at Ruby Lake had to keep checking themselves. They inferred several times that the Ruby Creek trail was going to be closed to 4x4's, but then tried to reverse themselves each time.

Of course they also readily admitted that all the damage in the meadow area nearby appeared to be caused by side-by-sides, not 4x4's (as they simply do not go that way).
"You will be hollow. We shall squeeze you empty, and then we shall fill you with ourselves."
― George Orwell, 1984

Freedom Convoy Truckers -- Canadian Heroes!
Justin Trudeau --Enemy of the People!

binch

RATS.....I can't make the first two weekend in sept as I'm stuck home for the long weekend then have the Caw ridge trip of Kerwin's on the following Saturday.    Maybe next time for me :(
Cheers, Bill