2018 Alexander Mackenzie Trail, West to East

Started by binch, December 13, 2017, 10:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Linked Events

binch

Yup, our group cleared out that last section all the way to Gatcho lake in 2015.  It was hard graft and we didn't finish the trail until 2am.....very tired but VERY satisfied campers!    And the bath in the lake the next morning was sooooooo nice!!!!!!!    The worst part of the last section was the Alder Grove.....We didn't cut...just pushed and had people walking right in front of the lead truck looking for deadfall in the thicket.

Brilliant Trip.....looking forward to doing it again.   ;)   
Cheers, Bill

tacomaj

Red90

It is too bad you can't do the western section. That was the most memorable area.  I remember driving through the alders using the force to navigate. Every now and then a trail marker would appear and you could not believe that you had somehow managed to still be on the trail.

binch

Quote from: Red90 on July 13, 2018, 06:14 PM
It is too bad you can't do the western section. That was the most memorable area.  I remember driving through the alders using the force to navigate. Every now and then a trail marker would appear and you could not believe that you had somehow managed to still be on the trail.

I feel much the same way John....but after the 2015 trip I don't really mind missing the 'alder grove'.   Those stems aren't 1/2" to 3/4" thick and 6' or 8' tall anymore.   They are 1.5" to 2" and 15' to 20' tall and so thick you can't see more then 2' or 3' ahead of you hood.   And with all the dead fall in the midst of it you can end up having to drive by brail.    We started with one person walking in front of each headlight of the lead vehicle, and you struggled to see them there.  Eventually the dead fall was bad enough we put a third person up there.    You dare not cut it down as you'd end up with a million punji sticks that would eat the tires that followed you.  There were sections in there I didn't recognize at all...but it followed the GPX anyway.   And travelling in the dark didn't help.....    The gentleman running the fishing camp tried to keep that western section open but gave up as it was a never ending battle.   And with the local natives wanting to close it down to anything but quad traffic it all becomes a mute point unfortunately.

All that said...It was a lot of hard work to complete that trip...but worth every moment of it in the end!   Hugely satisfying to say we did the whole thing ;-)    With the groups that went through after us in 2016 I'm sure the trail will have lots of deadfall cleared out...but lots more will have fallen in behind it all.   The area east of Kluskus Village is the only section that leaves me thinking we may have a bit more work in that area.   The previous fires of 2010 to 2015 over that area have annihilated the pine beetle killed trees but at the same time all that standing dead/burned trees want to fall down.  The trail itself looks like it may have been used for the fire crews...hard to say but it was in great shape up to the river with the big campsite on the south shore.

Looks like we have 6 vehicles (3x 110 wagons with tdis , 1 90 wagon with a tdi, two V8 disco 11's....and with a little luck and a lot of determination a second 90 pickup tdi.    Now as long as we have enough spare tires/repair kits ahahhahahahahahahhahh

::)
Cheers, Bill

Red90

And a trailer for fuel for the Discos!  ;)

binch

Quote from: Red90 on July 14, 2018, 01:15 PM
And a trailer for fuel for the Discos!  ;)

ROFL....isn't that the truth!    But shaving off that last section should save a lot of fuel by itself I'm thinking...and hoping.     ;D
Cheers, Bill

Matt H

Almost time to head out on your expedition!

Really disappointed I had to back out as I had been looking forward to this for a very long time. So I shall have to experience the trail vicariously through you guys...again.

With that in mind I look forward to lots pictures and entertaining stories from the adventure!

Have fun and happy trails!  8)
No Road Except For Land-Rover.

binch

Cheers, Bill

binch

Well, I looks like everything has come together except for Dave Brandson's brilliant effort to get his chassis replaced on his D90 before the trip.    The crew heading out on the trail this year is:

Bill and Craig in Bill's 110exmod
Trevor and Mark in Trevor's 110 Camel Trophy
Jeffrey and our kiwi visitor Cameron in Jeffrey's 110CSW
Glen and Av in Glen's D90 wagon
Nicole and Curtis in Nicole's Disco11
Orville and David in Orville's Disco11

The gang is loaded for bear and we have lots of chain saws and lots of gas.   Let the games begin.

We meet up tomorrow (Saturday) morning for breakfast (sans Nicole and Curtis who will join us in Edson) at 8am at the Travel Lodge "Smitty's" on Stoney Plain Rd just about 182 st.

If you would like to follow our progress go to:  http://share.findmespot.com/shared/gogl.jsp?glId=0ADPXPvKSQvsQ2xbiD4JfV85PnbzcLEMy
Cheers, Bill

Rabbit91

lropchan

In case you're curious how the MacKenzie team is progressing, but aren't checking the SPOT site, here's a map of their progress.

binch

Well....once again the Land Rover Crew opened up the trail all the way from Eliguk Lake in the west to the Titetown crossing in the east.   Gatcho Lake is a "No Go Zone" with the locals, which really "broke our hearts" but the Eliguk Lake Fishing Camp (with hosts Erin and Jennifer) was GREAT!!!!!     We got off the trial yesterday shortly after noon I believe and REALLY BIG kudos to the effort the gang put into busting through the fallen trees again especially David, Mark and Trevor on the saws all day...But folks weren't on on saws they were slinging wood and did a  fantastic job!!!!      Two flats (Trevor for one and me for the other...both repairable).   One failed UJ on a propshaft on the way down to the trail...30min fix and for the most part there were no serious breakdown.   We came prepared and we made it through in VERY quick time, with some really nice fishing along the way.    I think I can get to like this Victorian Expedition style travel.    Orville is now king of the camp kitchen!!!!!  Long live the king!

"You're a better man than I am, Gunga Din!"

We'll do a write up shortly....... ;)
Cheers, Bill

Matt H

Wow! That was much faster than expected. Great to hear everything went well. Really looking forward to pictures and the write up.
No Road Except For Land-Rover.

binch

Did I mention driving through a forest fire....... ::)
Cheers, Bill

Trevor

It was a great trip indeed. Our plan to start at the worst end and finish on the easiest backfired though. We had very little clearing to do early on the trip, and the last 2 days were a definite grind, with us getting off the trail at 11:00pm the final night. Having Curtis, Dave and Mark on the big saws all day sped things up a lot. Everyone really worked well together clearing bush and sawing. The group size was about spot on imo, and having 6 saws (3 large, 3 small), made clearing the big mile-long snags much quicker than our first trip.

We got through quicker than planned due to a couple forest fires on the west end of the trail. One popped up right on the trail between Lamberts and Rob and Linda's lodge the day we arrived at Eliguk. It was under control but we also had one out of control fire burning north that blocked that exit route, and a new fire to the SE that was moving NW, threatening to block the trail we came in on. So rather than stay on the Blackwater near Lamberts for the planned 2 days and possibly get trapped without an exit, we decided to push through the fire that was on the trail and get ahead of all the burns.

Carnage was not horrific, but there was a bit. Orville has a nice wallup on his rear quarter fender, and I put a log through my drivers side floor board about 1 hr from the end of the trail. It will take some welding to repair, but it is quite repairable.

There we lots of pictures and video's taken. I think the plan is to upload everything to Jeffery's dropbox and share them that way.
"You will be hollow. We shall squeeze you empty, and then we shall fill you with ourselves."
― George Orwell, 1984

Freedom Convoy Truckers -- Canadian Heroes!
Justin Trudeau --Enemy of the People!