Founders Day, Saturday February 18, 2017

Started by binch, January 02, 2017, 02:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Linked Events

binch

Hey gang,

I'm hoping to run out to the BC Roverlanders  Founder's Day (Saturday Feb 18th, 2017) in Chilliwack, BC.    We did it last year and enjoyed ourselves so thought we'd try it again.    Anyone interested in coming along?   

I'll be leaving dark and early on the Friday morning and returning on the Sunday.    A long drive but through some incredible scenary.   Will stay in a motel in the area, minutes from the event site.   Great opportunity to meet the faces of the names we've met on the forums  ;)
Cheers, Bill

binch

Cheers, Bill

Trevor

Quote from: binch on January 12, 2017, 08:51 PM
What.....Nobody!??!?!?!? ???

Afraid I've got other commitments Bill. Can't make this one.
"You will be hollow. We shall squeeze you empty, and then we shall fill you with ourselves."
― George Orwell, 1984

Freedom Convoy Truckers -- Canadian Heroes!
Justin Trudeau --Enemy of the People!

ochubb

I might be able to swing it what are the details on the event?

binch

Here are the details from the Rover Landers Website:
http://roverlanders.bc.ca/roverforum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=8939

What - The largest Indoor Land Rover Show on the NW coast
When - Saturday 18th February 11am to 7pm
Where - Heritage Park, Luckakuck Way, Chilliwack, BC
What Else - Entry Fee $10 per vehicle, open to all Land Rover owners and enthusiasts, indoor obstacle course, many "People Choice" awards, huge raffle table, Land Rover related merchandise, used parts tables, Tech displays, Kids corner, Land Rover movies, Food cart and much more....

I drive down on Friday (leaving 7am or so ... to catch as much day light hours in the mountains and Coquihalla as possible).     Go to the show Saturday and help set up, enjoy the show and visiting with folks, and head out to dinner afterward with people from the show.    Sunday we leave after breakfast and enjoy the drive back again.   I drive via Jasper and down through Valemont to Kamloops, and over the Coq. (if the weather is good).

I stayed at the Vedder River Inn last year as it was clean, comfortable and close to the venue and food :-)

I'll be booking my room after the Edmonton Gathering.  If you are interested let me know and I'll book two of them ;-)

;)
Cheers, Bill

Rosco

We are going to go to this too, booked a hotel today

binch

I'll be at the Veddar River Inn.....Taking off on the Friday morning and heading to Kamloops via Jasper, then on to the Coq.

Where you staying in Chilliwack? :)
Cheers, Bill

Rosco

We are taking the Friday off too, want to leave in the very early hours so we can arrive in the daylight, will head to Kamloops via Banff, then down the same route as you.

What will you be driving? we are putting the Defender on a trailer and hauling it.

Staying at the Travelodge not far from the venue, was about the only place that had any rooms

binch

I'll be driving my dark teal blue 110 wagon with a white roof.  I want to avoid the Coq in the "snow at night again"...that was a pain in the but last year.   But the rest of the drive was spectacular!!!!!       I'll keep my eyes open for you after Kamloops!

I'm meeting up with the self proclaimed president of the ALRE sub-chapter of the Naturally Aspirated club (Andy Yung) for breakfast at the Whitespot just off the TransCanada (south side)  45373 Luckakuck Way, Chilliwack, BC V2R 3C7.   Looks like it's just across the highway from your hotel.

https://www.google.ca/maps/place/White+Spot/@49.1435921,-121.9764856,15.17z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0x9010f53fa65961ec!8m2!3d49.1429447!4d-121.968796

If you are up for dinner on Friday evening....and we've managed to make it there in a reasonable hour send me a text and we can meet up then...   I'll send you pm with the cell number. ;)
Cheers, Bill

Rosco

We are going to put the Defender on a trailer and bring it that way, towing a trailer my truck still uses less fuel than the 4.0.

Will keep an eye out for you too, our plan is to leave very very early on Friday, so we get there around lunch time/mid afternoon, and not have to rush.

What time are you meeting?

binch

We are planning to meet at the WhiteSpot at 8am Saturday morning.     Andy Yung will be there with his P38 and I'll be there in the blue 110.

Even if I leave at 7am I can't see getting there much before 5 or 6pm, in good weather.   If there is snow it could easily add an hour or two.   But I'm still looking forward to the drive down :)
Cheers, Bill

Dutchie

Bill I will be on my way back from Vancouver need to see what's going on at home but if I have time I may stay the night in Chilliwack.
1978 Series III LWT diesel
2006 Range Rover Sport

binch

Perfect!!!!!!   hope it works out then Claus
Cheers, Bill

Dutchie

1978 Series III LWT diesel
2006 Range Rover Sport

binch

Had a great visit at the Rover Landers Founders Day Event this year again.   From my door to the motel in Chilliwack was 1068km and the 110 with the 200tdi didn't skip a beat.   I left at 7am on Friday morning and rolled into the motel at 630pm (I gained an hour going west remember) and managed to keep my average speed at about 90km/h.  The roads were wet with all the melting snow but the skys were clear so it was a great drive down through Valemont, Clearwater, Kamloops and over the Coq.   Seems there were  a few more stupids out on the roads with a snowmobile trailer (with 5 or 6 sleds on it) being removed from it's pickup when it attemted to cross the path of an oncoming tractor trailer hauling crushed cars.   And then there was a burning semi tractor at the base of the east end of the Coq, going up out of Kamloops.  Could see the smoke for 30km before getting to it.

Aside from the carnage the show was very well attended with a fantastic selection of defenders this year.   Everything from 90's to 130's.  Exmods to expedition ready and a tray back 100".     Lots of newer vehicles too.   There were at least 2 LWT's and maybe a third...can't quite remember.   Some very tidy series trucks including a series 1 that redid the paris to Singapore adventure with his family in 2012.   

They had a good draw with loads of various prizes and a short offroad course you could drive you landy over.   And what really surprised me were the number of people I have met before on trips or on the forum.   I really enjoyed myself again!    Rosco and his wife came down from Lethbridge towing his V8 powered D90 behind a pickup.     I think his was the first V8 I've seen using the mega squirt system and he seems to have dialed it in nicely!    I can think of a couple of people up this way that would like to pick his brains about it ;)

If you keep your eyes open there should be some pics posted here in the next few days:
http://roverlanders.bc.ca/photo-gallery/

Here's a vid one of the fellas did as we were cleaning things up at the end of the day Saturday

And a pic from the show too

There was a couple from France there that had just finished their worldly adventure and had brought there expedition 110 3 door to sell.   There were asking $16000cdn for it originally until someone straightened them out with a more realistic figure almost twice that  ;)    There was a td5 powered crew cab 130 with a  hicap box on the back.   It was forsale too but from what I heard it was a huge amount of money.   Mind you...it was new looking.    But still no 101FC there.   Gotta get yoda out there so we can see it take first prize ;-)

Hopefully next year I can convince a few more of our folks to come down and join me there  8)
Cheers, Bill