Disco 2, HP Watts linkage

Started by Trevor, October 14, 2019, 10:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trevor

I started into pulling the HP Watts linkage off my D2 this morning to replace the bushes, they're completely worn. And after looking at it in detail, is there a reason for this to exist on hte vehicle other than for helping high speed handling?

I ask because I am now thinking about just removing it entirely. My G4 does stillg et driven on the road, but it is so heavily modified now high speed handling is hardly a concern. Heck I run without anti-sway bars which I would suspect are going to have a more pronounced effect on road handling than the HP Watts.

So there's the question...can the HP Watts simply be removed? Or does it proviide some axle/centering/stabalizing/whatever effect that I am not seeing?
"You will be hollow. We shall squeeze you empty, and then we shall fill you with ourselves."
― George Orwell, 1984

Freedom Convoy Truckers -- Canadian Heroes!
Justin Trudeau --Enemy of the People!

Red90

It is the only lateral link for the rear axle.  You need something there. The only other alternative would be a panhard bar.

Red90

Is the Disco lifted?  That can cause binding of the bushings if you have the stock linkage.

Trevor

Yes, I see what you are saying John re the lateral link. I was just digging through the shop manual and noticed that as well. So it will need to stay lest things will get quite sloopy back there :).

This is on my G4 which has 3" Rovertym lift (which amounts to 4" actual). I've got modified linkage on there already from Rovertym to prevent binding on articulation. I think this is just one of those instances where I'm pushing the geometry to the limits, as well as the usage, and they will just wear faster. 

Fortunately I have all the bushings already.
"You will be hollow. We shall squeeze you empty, and then we shall fill you with ourselves."
― George Orwell, 1984

Red90

It could be the bushing quality as well. Many people have been finding the current crop of OEM bushing are poor quality. After the last club trip the panhard rod bushings were completely gone in the 90. They were replaced two years ago with OEM ones.  Prior to that I had never changed them and they were most likely original.

You might want to try a good brand name polyurethane bushing set of it keeps happening.

Trevor

Good advice, thanks John. I'll see how these replacements hold up and go from there. This vehicle doesn't see a lot of miles, but the ones it does see are a bit hard on equipment.
― George Orwell, 1984

Matt H

Graft in a 3 link rear from a RRC/Def/D1 or go Coil over and a 4 link?
The watts link rear setup was used to improve the legendary on road body roll of the Disco.

Just a thought.
No Road Except For Land-Rover.

Trevor

Quote from: Matt H on October 15, 2019, 10:23 AM
Graft in a 3 link rear from a RRC/Def/D1 or go Coil over and a 4 link?
The watts link rear setup was used to improve the legendary on road body roll of the Disco.

Just a thought.

That might be the next project.
― George Orwell, 1984