Engine coolant temperature

Started by Gardenome, April 20, 2017, 11:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gardenome

What sort of temperatures can I expect to see on my 2L series one engine? Had a thermostat issue and pinged my meter. Want to know what to watch for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

binch

should be around the temperature the thermostat is set to open (88C or so maybe?). 

A few years back my temp shot up into the red in a matter of seconds.....thought I was cooking my engine.   As it turned out my gauge was the problem.  Once I changed it with a known working unit the problem was solved.   This may not be the same problem you are having.....but it's an option.

If you have an infra red thermomo reader check to see what the block is doing when the temp reads normal and again when it reads high.

option 1 of many.... ;)
Cheers, Bill

Red90

If you do not have the genuine manual, I would suggest getting it.  It is very thorough and intended for the owner to be able to fix anything.  This is what is says on the thermostat.

QuoteIf the thermostat becomes faulty in operation, overheating of the engine will usually result. To check the thermostat, remove it from its housing and run the engine; if the overheating is eliminated, the unit is faulty and must be renewed. Further tests may be made by immersing the thermostat in hot water, whereon expansion of the bellows should
commence between 162°F (72"C) and 171°F(77°C) and be completed at 191°F (88°C).

As Bill states, an IR thermometer is a quick and easy way to check.

Matt H

I've found with the 2.0L spread bore engines that I have worked on, if they are original (as in resurrected rather than rebuilt) they do tend to have higher than normal block temperatures. This is almost certainly down to rust and scale build up inside the block. A good flush with a cooling system cleaning agent helps. If it gets too bad you will begin to experience detonation as the engine gets hot.
My 2c
No Road Except For Land-Rover.

Gardenome

I've done a couple easy runs and the temperature stabilizes quite nicely once the radiator gets involved. Thanks all for the input.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk