parabolic springs - info and advice

Started by billpatterson, March 25, 2017, 11:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

billpatterson

Hi there

I want to/need to replace original springs with parabolics and replace all related bushings. There are quite a few manufacturers of parabolics and bushes. I do like the idea of polyurethane bushes especially the install however they do make the ride harsher. Please provide your thoughts and experiences on parabolic springs and bushes, and suppliers?

Cheers!

Bill
Bill Patterson

Matt H

Have you ever ridden in a Series Land Rover with refurbished or good quality new standard leaf springs? They ride much better than folks give credit for. Especially if compared to a spring pack that has rusted solid. If heavy loads are to be carried factory leaf springs are really the best option. Personally I prefer standard bushes as well. The factory equipment is the most versatile and by far the more long lasting.

Having said that, if articulation off road and light loads are your thing parabolic springs can offer an advantage over the factory set up. If you go this route be careful where you buy as I've heard of problems with some brands.

My 2c.
No Road Except For Land-Rover.

RossM

Hi Bill
I replaced my one ton springs on my 109 with Wise Owl parabolics  25 years ago. The one ton springs were unbearable when the truck was not loaded down. The parabolics in my case were a great purchase and have lasted all these years of admittedly light use. At the same time I installed polybushes. They may have improved since then but the polybushes I installed were harsh and squeaked incessantly. They lasted a season or two and then were replaced by standard bushes. No squeaks and no complaints since.
Cheers
Ross

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trevor

Quote from: billpatterson on March 25, 2017, 11:16 AM
Hi there

I want to/need to replace original springs with parabolics and replace all related bushings. There are quite a few manufacturers of parabolics and bushes. I do like the idea of polyurethane bushes especially the install however they do make the ride harsher. Please provide your thoughts and experiences on parabolic springs and bushes, and suppliers?

Cheers!

Bill

The LR original springs/helper spring setup used in the Camel Trophy Defenders is a good one. I run with the helper springs in the rears mostly now as I'm always loaded up through the summer with camping gear. But you can easily pull the helper springs out if you are not running heavy, and the ride is quite a lot better as they do not run the heavy duty spring in the rear. This is a good route to go imo rather than the simple heavy duty spring on the rear as they are pretty stiff when not loaded (similar to the helper/medium spring combo.

The above is applicable for general use, moderate to light wheeling that doesn't require a lot of articulation.

If you're planning on doing a lot of harder core wheeling or rock crawling I can't offer much advice wrt to stock/spring options on the Defenders.

For bushings, LR original makes some sense. They're proven and work well. Or at least they used to. I heard not long ago they moved the production of those items to China. If so, I'd guess they're likely shit quality now if that did happen. I'd try and find that out before going the LR original path just to be sure.
"You will be hollow. We shall squeeze you empty, and then we shall fill you with ourselves."
― George Orwell, 1984

Freedom Convoy Truckers -- Canadian Heroes!
Justin Trudeau --Enemy of the People!

5spd

Last fall we pulled the springs from under the 88, which were from a lightweight.  we replaced them with Rocky Mountain parabolics from Vancouver.  while the ride was more compliant, the vehicle has sagged to the driver's side in the five months since installation.  So some tradoffs, but not a long time under the vehicle to really judge from.

billpatterson

HI
Thanks for the feedback. I went with parabolics sold by BritPart and made by GME (of UK), and poly-bushes (kit DC7104). Time will tell...

Regards
Bill
Bill Patterson