Scotch Lok Surprise, fuse frustration and speedo no go.

Started by Matt H, March 08, 2017, 06:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt H

On the weekend I decided to replace the broken radio antenna and speakers in my 110.

Behold! The menace that is the Scotch Lok connector. If I had a penny for every time....

One of the reasons I bought this unit was that is was almost entirely stock with very little in the way of "upgrades" from previous owners. But it seems that some remedial wiring is required when it gets warmer.

I also found the the headlight level switch to be disconnected. So I plugged it in and found it to work brilliantly. Until next morning on the way to work the signal lights, fuel and engine temp fuse blew. Ahh, so that was why somebody unplugged it.

I also managed to disturb the speedo cable and now it likes to disconnect itself. Anybody know if I need the short transducer section? I believe it's for the EGR system but I also removed all that on the weekend. I was planning on removing it and connecting the long speedo cable from the transfer case directly to the back of the speedo?
No Road Except For Land-Rover.

Red90

On a 300TDI Defender?  How strange, never heard of that before.  Is it like this one that the V8s had? http://www.roversnorth.com/ProductDesc.aspx?code=AMR3386

Can't see it in the 300TDI wiring schematic.  Nothing showing connected to the EGR ECU.  http://duud.ee/LR-manualid/300Tdi_Wiring_Diagrams.pdf

Matt H

Yup. It's a 1998 300tdi but it has the mechanical injection pump. It had a functioning EGR until I disconnected the ecm and blanked off the manifold last weekend.

I couldn't find a listing for it either. It about 5" long and of the same construction as the main cable and also has identical male/female connections as found on the long cable and speedo. Apart from a small rectangular box attached part way down with a wire coming out of it it looks like a smaller version of the main cable.

It's chucking it down with snow right now but I will pull the dash tomorrow and take a picture of it. Perhaps I will also leave it disconnected and fit the main cable directly into the speedo and see what happens?
No Road Except For Land-Rover.