Body man in Edmonton that welds aluminum

Started by Trevor, March 07, 2017, 09:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trevor

I've got a set of 75mm fender flares to go onto my D2, and I need to set them up such that they will handle 33" to 35" tires on offset rims, which means I'll be cutting them fairly high into the rear door area. That's going to require some aluminum welding.

Can anyone recommend a shop in Edmonton area with experience welding aluminum? I know most of the big name shops do it, but I was hoping to find something a bit smaller that club members support.
"You will be hollow. We shall squeeze you empty, and then we shall fill you with ourselves."
― George Orwell, 1984

Freedom Convoy Truckers -- Canadian Heroes!
Justin Trudeau --Enemy of the People!

ugly_90

The Prop Shop on 91st St. near Argyll is the only one I've used for alloy welding in Edmonton. He's fairly expensive, but he does good work. He isn't an automotive bodyshop, but is an aluminum welder. If you bring him freed and perhaps cut alloy metal that you need welded, he'll do it, but don't expect him to pop apart trim, or to match the clearcoat paint afterward.

I would expect you have better quality control with him before sending it to a bodyshop for the rest. Likely will get a lower bill too, if you're willing to do the grunt labour of disassemble and reassemble.

Red90

Keep in mind, only the outer skins are aluminum.  Everything behind is steel.  Also the door skins are steel.

Trevor

Quote from: ugly_90 on March 07, 2017, 12:39 PM
The Prop Shop on 91st St. near Argyll is the only one I've used for alloy welding in Edmonton. He's fairly expensive, but he does good work. He isn't an automotive bodyshop, but is an aluminum welder. If you bring him freed and perhaps cut alloy metal that you need welded, he'll do it, but don't expect him to pop apart trim, or to match the clearcoat paint afterward.

I would expect you have better quality control with him before sending it to a bodyshop for the rest. Likely will get a lower bill too, if you're willing to do the grunt labour of disassemble and reassemble.

Fortunately I'm not looking for anything too fancy here, this is my Moab rig. But I do want to insure the gaps are sealed once the doors are cut back, just to prevent road crap from getting in there. I'm kinda looking to drop it off at a body shop and say "mount the flares here, and weld all the holes up that you make".
"You will be hollow. We shall squeeze you empty, and then we shall fill you with ourselves."
― George Orwell, 1984

Trevor

Quote from: Red90 on March 07, 2017, 12:50 PM
Keep in mind, only the outer skins are aluminum.  Everything behind is steel.  Also the door skins are steel.

Hmm, I think this should just be a weld of the outer skin of the door, no?

I've got this walk through (albeit of a D1, but the rear doors are pretty similar)

https://www.aulro.com/afvb/projects-and-tutorials/110837-fitting-flexi-flares-5-door-d1.html

...looking at the pictures where he's cutting that rear door, is that not aluminum on the inside and outside shell of the door?
― George Orwell, 1984

Red90

D1 doors have aluminum skins on steel frames.  D2 doors have steel skins on steel frames.

Trevor

k, I gotta get my magnet out. That'll simplify things greatly if it's an all steel weld.

Edit: Did a bit more digging, and that indeed is correct John...steel doors. Welding got a lot easier. Disregard this post then as my regular body shop can handle steel without a problem. 
― George Orwell, 1984

binch

Just to go back to the original question about body work and aluminium welding....If you ask Bert I'm sure he will know someone who does that type of work.   For future reference ;-)

cheers Bill
Cheers, Bill