D1 t-case

Started by pechanec, January 29, 2017, 06:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pechanec

I'd have to run the math, but the idea is reduce gear hunting in the transmission, as it's on 33 inch tires and I'm leaving the factory axle gears

Sent from my XP7700 using Tapatalk

pechanec

10percent bigger tires and 0.4 drop in drive ratio should be not too bad @ 100 kmh

Matt H

Quote from: Trevor on January 30, 2017, 12:38 PM
I would second John's suggestion re the 1.4 gearing. Unless you're trailering the unit around, the 1.6 makes for some pretty slow highway driving.

That is what I was thinking. Most folks regear the diff to regain lost performance due to tyre size etc.
That way you can address differential carrier weakness and improve the off road performance as well as on road at the same time.

Edit, that is to say high and low range performance.

No Road Except For Land-Rover.

pechanec

True. Axle gearing change is expensive. Rear carrier already addressed with Detroit locker swap, plus, I haven't had any issues with the factory diffs as is. And I have the cases laying around

Matt H

I hear ya. That's part of the reson the Mighty Range Rover on 33" tyres still runs factory axle gears.

pechanec

Let's a person keep the lift small (growlers is 2.25 inch) for better stability also

Trevor

Quote from: pechanec on January 30, 2017, 12:45 PM
I'd have to run the math, but the idea is reduce gear hunting in the transmission, as it's on 33 inch tires and I'm leaving the factory axle gears

I'm running 33" (255/85R16) on my CT Defender and can clip along very nicely at 100 - 110 km/h. I do not find it lacking in power at all, it is quite nice to drive in both the city or highway (well, for a Defender that is, relatively speaking of course).

I also run the stock gearing in the axles (salisbury rear, and rover-diff front). Only change to those is a pair of TruTracs and Ashcroft chrome-moly axles....but gearing is stock.
"You will be hollow. We shall squeeze you empty, and then we shall fill you with ourselves."
― George Orwell, 1984

Freedom Convoy Truckers -- Canadian Heroes!
Justin Trudeau --Enemy of the People!

pechanec

Yes, mine is on 285/75 r16. Cruises OK at that 100/110 mark also, but a little lacking when trailering (2000 lbs ish) up hills on road. Fine off road in low range.

Matt H

My Rangie is on similar 285/75R16 GY Duratrac tyres, stock gears, an ex-Disco T'case and it works ok. It's a V8 so HWY speeds of 110-120 are attainable and the tall gearing and tall tyres help the rpm and mpg on a long run. My only gripe is the lack of engine braking in low range when descending a steep hill with the auto box. Even when you hold the transmission in 1st gear it has a tendency to run away on me a little. Makes me use the service brakes more than I'd like.

pechanec

I have noticed that as well