heater box renos

Started by ugly_90, December 22, 2016, 12:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ugly_90

Finishing off my heater box restoration on the 110 after I knocked the mousenest out of there. Fairly time consuming, i'm sure the 90 heaterbox needs attention too. There was quite a bit of corrosion on the bottom inside of the box due to moisture, and is probably worth inspection.

In the parts book, the heaterbox is dealt with as an expensive orderable assembly, with a few outside parts.

When I started my disassembly, I didn't note this video, although I looked for it.. Quite handy. I won't be deviating from original heater matrix in my build. This upgraded heater matrix is interesting though, and their website shows LHD units available.

B-Red

Good post Adam. I wonder how to install a Wabasco Engine and Cabin heater with this setup?

ugly_90

I don't know anything about the Webasto heater setup, I expect it would be more involved than only a heater matrix swap as shown here.

binch

John Barge has done some extensive mods to his heater system, in various stages over the years.    One thing he's done that hasn't been address in most mods is to increase the aperture size in the bulkhead which restricts the air flow allowed into the the lower dash heater duct.   He enlarged his quite a bit!!!!    Another simple measure note mentioned is to swap out an electric fan motor and squirrel cage blower from an old chev or gmc panel van.   It requires a few simple mods to the housing but it turns faster and the slightly bigger fan push more air.    Insulation and seals......there's a lot of room for improvement right there.   Again...John has a wealth of info and great ideas there ;)
Cheers, Bill

binch

Quote from: ugly_90 on December 22, 2016, 06:41 PM
I don't know anything about the Webasto heater setup, I expect it would be more involved than only a heater matrix swap as shown here.

Not Really....different work but the same amount with different purpose and results. ;)
Cheers, Bill

Red90

Quote from: binch on December 22, 2016, 08:46 PMOne thing he's done that hasn't been address in most mods is to increase the aperture size in the bulkhead which restricts the air flow allowed into the the lower dash heater duct.   He enlarged his quite a bit!!!

For the stock heater, I don't think the bulkhead hole affects flow much.   The lower dash vents are quite restrictive and opening them up will help.

As to the video, I personally would not go with the Allisport matrix, mainly due to cost.  A new stock matrix is cheap.  At 200 pounds for the Allisport plus shipping, you might as well just buy a complete new heater that will do much better.

On the Webasto, a good start is to read through their manual.  It covers most of the dos and don't and explains how it is supposed to work.  When done right, they always work and are the best thing you could ever install in a truck.