OOP Advice

Started by mac, October 18, 2016, 12:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mac

Hi folks,

Hoping to join the ranks of Rover owners with a Series IIa in the next few weeks.

Any chance I could field your advice or experiences on shops qualified for Out of Province inspections and familiarity with either Rovers or older vehicles in general? Hoping to avoid any issues stemming from lack of familiarity with older mechanicals, last vehicle I had inspected 10yrs ago or so was a bit of a process.

Thanks in advance, any insight would be appreciated. I am Calgary NW if location is any consideration.

Cheers,
Mac

SpeedyJ

I had good luck with The Rover Shop (TRS Automotive). I know that some find them pricey, but my OOP went without a hitch. They actually outsource the inspection to the local muffler shop, but provide the appropriate guidance - your old Rover is treated like an old Rover, not a Camry.

I did my best to make it easy for them (and me), my truck had brand new tires, ball joints, rebuilt swivels, brake lines, brake cylinders and shoes etc..... Obviously I also made sure that all the normal safety stuff worked - lights, wipers, etc....

Good luck!

-Jeff

mac

Thanks Jeff, much appreciated.

Cheers,
Mac

JLRtech

I am not certain if the Calgary LR dealer is a certified OOP inspection facility. The Edmonton JLR dealer is though...I am the OOP certified tech there, if a trek up North is fine by you for an inspection feel free to give us a call and make an appointment.

mac

Thanks JLRtech,

I'm already close to sorted here in Calgary, but I appreciate the heads up. I do occasionally get up to Edmonton, so always good to know where to find a good mechanic ;)

Cheers,
Mac

binch

Sports Car Centre in Edmonton.....They are very familiar with older land rovers, right back to the series 1.   The can do the OPI and they can also do an appraisal of you vehicle for insurance.   It may be worth more then you think ;)
Cheers, Bill

RossM

Mac
I think Auto-Mann in Calgary does OPI's. While predominantly a British sports car shop, Steve the mechanic there, has had a Series Land Rover for probably 25 years and is very familiar with them. He has done some work on my 109 and the work he has done on my Austin-Healey is excellent.

Cheers
Ross

mac

Thanks for the additional advice folks - TRS managed to get me sorted late last week. Another IIa on the road!

Cheers,
Mac

binch

Cheers, Bill