Does anyone have a Lucas 25D distributor that's out of an engine?

Started by SpeedyJ, October 18, 2016, 11:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Red90

Quote from: Matt H on October 26, 2016, 04:16 PM
Have you looked at Petronix? I have used them on Rover 2.25, cyl and 3.5, 3.9, 4.2 Rover V8's with excellent results. They are competitively priced, available everywhere and really reliable.

My 2c.

The problem is that he needs boost retard for the turbo. A normal distributor does not have the ability.

I would use the vacuum advance rate for the boost retard which is around 1.3 degrees per psi. Maybe start at 1.5 or 2 to be safe.   If you retard too much all that happens is you get a bit less power.

What are you running for plugs?  You would expect a colder than stock plug would be best with the turbo.

SpeedyJ

Exactly.

Plugs? I don't recall off the top of my head. I just matched what was already in there, the PO was just flipping it, so he didn't know anything about it, but he did relay that he thought that the original owner's son had taken it to Baja and back (based on the last registration that was in '98 or so), so i figured that whatever was in there couldn't be all bad. It has a 7:1 head, but for all I know it could be have been skimmed at some point.

Red90

It is something to look at.  There are a lot of good writeups around.  Beyond plug damage, if the plug runs too hot, it will cause pre-ignition.  The plug itself will cause ignition from its own heat.  This would confuse the selection of timing.  You would expect a colder plug to be needed with the turbo.  The stock plugs usied in these engines are more or less the hottest ones available.

https://www.ngksparkplugs.com/about-ngk/tech-talk/spark-plug-basics
http://www.ngk.com.au/spark-plugs/technical-information/modified-performance-engines

SpeedyJ

The new 123Tune+ is ordered. Updates to follow (but probably not too quickly).

Thanks again for the resources John.

SpeedyJ

I finally retrieved my 123Tune + from Canada Post last night.  It was four days from the Netherlands to Vancouver, six days from Vancouver to Calgary and another six days from the attempted delivery at my home to when it was actually available at my local Post Office for pickup.

It did get hit with 5% GST and 6% duty, I could have avoided the duty if I'd sourced it from the US (car parts are exempt under NAFTA), but overall I figure it was ~$80 cheaper from Europe.

My initial impression is that it seems to be very good quality with a nice finish, the included Beru distributor cap and rotor are on par with the equivalent Bosch components and superior to the Lucas ones I purchased a year ago.

Now I just need to find time to install and programme it.

Already a Rover

Cool!  Make sure you have a longish USB cable so you can put the laptop on the fender.  Since this is a science experiment (turbo), the best thing would be to get a really long cable and eventually have someone tweaking while you drive. 

If you have troubles with the software, I can help you get started.

They have quite a good forum on the website, you should be able to find some info there from peeps who have turbos.

Mine is set for 15+ degrees static, which I think would still apply with the turbo - my suggestion is to set it at zero on the flywheel and do it all on the 123Tune.

SpeedyJ

Thanks Jim,

The model I've gotten is the Tune+, so it's all Bluetooth. I was hoping that it would have a USB port for back up and PC programming, but for now it's all done via iOS app. I'm not crazy about being tied to a single ecosystem (Android is promised, but not yet available), but we're pretty heavily invested in Apple stuff, so it's actually the path of least resistance for me. If memory serves, this model was my only option for positive ground. I do plan on switching polarity at some point, but this will allow me to revert to my mysterious but working black box if need be.

John provided the factory 2.25 curve, so I'll probably start there and apply 1deg of retard per pound of boost.

It's looking like we might see a high of 9C over the weekend, so I might be able to get it physically installed then. After that I should be able to tune from the warmth of my house.;)

Already a Rover

Hi - good luck, have fun and all that. 

Another wireless gadget - so convenient, but so unfixable.

SpeedyJ

Update: I was able to get the 123 Ignition installed months ago, but Christmas, cold weather (unheated garage) family commitments and a month of work in Alaska got in the way of diagnosing my no start condition.

Today I finally had a few honest hours to troubleshoot. It turned out that I'd made a silly mistake and all is good so now. The 123 has a built in static timing light and when I'd set it up I'd rotated the distributor the wrong direction, leaving my timing ~45^ out. Once that was sorted out, she fired right up in spite of not being run in months.

My initial impressions is that it's smoother on start up (it was always lumpy when cold), is drivable sooner and is less prone to sputtering/bogging down when cold. At idle it is phenomenally smooth (when compared to it's former self). I won't take it for a proper test drive today, there's still too much salt on the roads for that, but at least I can move it around again.

Already a Rover

Good to hear.  After all the muckery with my dizzy (works fantastic now), I'm jealous.  It must have cost a pile, but as you said, it makes a big difference. 

I don't know anything about curves w. a turbo - glad that worked out.