Does anyone have a Lucas 25D distributor that's out of an engine?

Started by SpeedyJ, October 18, 2016, 11:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SpeedyJ

I would be great if someone could take a few measurements from their spare 25D distributor and compare them with the attached drawing for me. I'm ready to pull the trigger on the programmable 123Ignition Tune+ distributor (http://www.123ignition.nl/id/64.html) from the Netherlands but they simply list their unit as a 'Lucas Replacement', I'd like to be dead certain that it's the correct one before having it sent from Europe.

Any help is appreciated!

Cheers

RossM

While I don't have the distributor out of the car I can direct you to a Canadian source for 123 ignitions. http://www.tdcperformance.ca/  out of Winnipeg. I have inquired with them regarding the ignition for a non Land Rover application. They may be able to help you with your requirements.

Cheers
Ross

SpeedyJ

I tried him, but had a slow initial response to my inquiry (~week), when he replied to my first email I had a few more questions, I'm still waiting over a month later. I'm not really one to chase down a supplier that doesn't hold stock.

I still don't even know what his price is....

Already a Rover

Hello.

I have one on the bench right now, will try to make the measurements today. 

I had a 123 Tune in my Volvo before I pulled the engine and it was great.  I would ask them what the curves are if you don't buy the programmable one.  You don't want the stock curve.  The one I have just came back from Advanced Distributors, where he performed his magic.  This means - well - straightening the shaft, re-forming the lobes (much sharper, with a taper, like the 45D I think), bushing, some kind of an improved points-plate, and a custom curve.  Not sure what else, except it is shiney....

The cost was about $US200 - a lot less than the 123 and I guess it was the cost difference which convinced me.  Plus, he set the curve to my engine characteristics.  Even if your engine is stock, you can get a great improvement with a re-curve.  He said I will get 10 more mph and get there a lot faster.   Your's would be the same.  He has be doing this for decades, and comes highly recommended. 

Anyway, if you do want to go with the 123, he says the static timing should be about 17 degrees BTDC and run up to 30 degrees by 3000 rpm.  A stock engine will be less advance, but not sure how much; I assume you are pondering such details....

I'll be putting it in right-away and report back, along with the measurements, but a 25D is a 25D, so I'm pretty sure it will fit.

Already a Rover

They are about $US500.  I have called and spoken to the guy in the US several times and he answers the phone, is very good.

The problem was always something other than the distributor.

The manual for the programmable one leaves something to be desired, so it was good to be able to call him.

Red90

There is really nothing to be gained with changing the advance curve on a normally aspirated 2.25.  You will gain nothing.  The stock curve is quite aggressive and the engines do not care much about timing regardless.

This is the stock curve from the manual.  The advance is set to max out at 42 degrees.  This is a straightforward, two stage linear rise right to redline.
38° to 42°, 4500
30° to 34°, 3500
22° to 26°, 2500
12° to 16°, 1200
4° to 12°, 900
0° to 4°, 600
No advance below 450

For SpeedyJ's needs of retarding timing with boost, this programmable distributor is certainly a good choice.

SpeedyJ

Thanks!

The 123Distributor is simply described as a Lucas replacement, are the 45D and 25D interchangeable in terms of mechanical fit (i.e. not worried about advance curve)? If so, this would go a long way to answering my question.

I would just with electronic ignition on my existing 25D, or rebuild it, but I need the ability to tune it to accommodate for the turbo. The 123 is unique in it ability to run either positive or negative earth, this is important to me since I'm currently positive earth, but may upgrade the electrical in the future.

I can get it from the Netherlands for $500CAD including shipping, right there I'm saving ~$160 on the exchange rate. In the past few years, everything I've ordered from the US has been hit with customs, tax and duty, whereas shipments from Europe or a little more hit and miss, so I might get lucky. Shipping times from the UK have been comparable or better then shipping from the US as well (standard postage, not FedEx overnight or similar).

If you could take those measurements I'd appreciate the confirmation, I might even show up at the next YYC meeting (when are we going to have one anyway?) and buy you a beer.

Cheers

Jeff

SpeedyJ

Thanks for that John, that's from the Green Bible? I looked for those numbers, but apparently not hard enough.

Red90

Quote from: SpeedyJ on October 25, 2016, 10:40 AM
Thanks for that John, that's from the Green Bible? I looked for those numbers, but apparently not hard enough.

Yes, that is from the Series 3 workshop manual.  If you don't have it, let me know, and I'll put it on the site.  I've attached a screenshot of the page.  I've also attached a spreadsheet with the same data, that I made up when planning for EDIS.  It shows vacuum advance of 12 degrees and -60 kPa.  I can't recall where I got the 12 degrees from, but it must have been somewhere....  Could probably use as a starting point for boost retard.  In the spreadsheet, the top table was from someone else's Megajolt 2.25P install, but his page looks dead.  My numbers are lower down and if you just use the linear vacuum advance curve, you can simply adjust the pressure numbers into the boost range to make a table for a boosted engine.

SpeedyJ

That's some good stuff! Thanks again, I appreciate it.

I have the Series II/IIA shop manual, so it should be in there somewhere, I just need to look.

Red90

Quote from: SpeedyJ on October 25, 2016, 11:30 AM
That's some good stuff! Thanks again, I appreciate it.

I have the Series II/IIA shop manual, so it should be in there somewhere, I just need to look.

The 2/2A manual does not have the info.  The full chart is in the 3 manual and there is a smaller chart in the Defender manual.

Quote from: Red90 on October 25, 2016, 10:27 AM
...the engines do not care much about timing regardless.
I'll expand on why I believe this to be the case.  When I got my Lightweight I found that the pin holding the secondary advance spring was broken.  Basically this means the advance went at the primary rate straight to 42 degrees.  So by say 2500 rpm, the full advance was there.  There was no pinging.  When I chucked in another distributor, there was no real difference in performance.  This was a freshly built engine with a ported head and performance cam.

SpeedyJ

That explains why I haven't found it then.

Your theory of the 2.25 being tolerant of poor timing is consistent with what I've experienced - no noticeable changes associated with timing adjustments. That said though, I believe that I was suffering from pinging under load at moderate boost (2-3psi), I've addressed this issue by switching to a higher octane fuel (non ethanol when I can find it). The pinging is no longer audible, but of course that doesn't mean that it's completely taken care of.

Already a Rover

Hi - The numbers match up, so it will fit, and yes, a 25D and 45D are inter-changeable mechanically.  I believe the points plate is different. 

You have a turbo on there!  So you will be going with the programmable one.  When you get it, I might be able to come over and help you get the program up and running.  As I said, there are some slightly quirky features in the software, otherwise, don't hesitate to call John, who is the 123 distributor in the US.  I have no idea how you will decide on what numbers are optimal, unless you use a dyno?  FWIW, Jeff said max advance should be in the low 30's by about 3000rpm.

I can see what Red is saying about timing.  Sheesh, if that is true, maybe I just wasted my money.  Big debates about all kinds of things on the internet, like if electronic ignition is worth it.  (... God, if I had a nickle for every person who still swears by points).  That includes Jeff at Advanced Distributors, but I trusted his (and others') opinions on getting the ignition timing right, and its too late now.  The whole engine seems to be under-designed/utilized (67hp??) so it made sense to me.  I'll find out soon-enough if there is much difference on my somewhat souped-up 2.25na. 

Jim

SpeedyJ

Awesome, thanks Jim! That gives me the confidence to pull the trigger.

I'll be getting the Bluetooth one for multiple reasons - programmable, engine immobilizer, programmable with my phone, it's the only model that works with positive earth, etc....

I won't be putting it on a dyno, this is more about being able to understand what is happening to my ignition system. Right now I literally have a homemade black box that I have very little control over. My baseline will be based on stock timing and turbo theory, honestly, with the levels of boost my turbo makes I expect the set up to be pretty forgiving. I'm already over fueled, so this is simply meant to be a project, not a full on obsession.

If I didn't have the turbo, I'd still go electronic ignition. I've had points break (the nylon rider broke) on me in LA and Houston traffic in the past, both instances were pretty scary. In Houston, it happened at the highest point of a substantial overpass on the interstate. By the end of that trip I was adjusting the points every second tank of fuel. And, yes I realize now that the likely culprit was a badly worn distributor, but still, it's let an impression upon me. Secondly, I have experience with hall effect sensors in some pretty demanding environments (seismic drills), as a result I have a fairly high level of trust with them.

Matt H

Have you looked at Petronix? I have used them on Rover 2.25, cyl and 3.5, 3.9, 4.2 Rover V8's with excellent results. They are competitively priced, available everywhere and really reliable.

My 2c.

Had to laugh about John's comment on the 2.25 not really caring much about timing. So very true.
No Road Except For Land-Rover.