Warning! The dreaded tire discussion ensuing.

Started by RossM, December 12, 2017, 07:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RossM

Unfortunately for me the time has come to think about buying new tires for my Series 111 SW.  The current tires are Daytona Radial Stag 7.5 X 16 LT M/S. While they look fine with no cracks, lots of tread and have low mileage on them, they have been on my truck for 25 years. My online search has revealed  few  options so far. Rovers North has Micheline XZLs for about $440 CDN apiece before shipping, mounting and taxes. Yikes. Anybody have any suggestions as to type and where to buy tires to fit the original 5.5 X 16 rims?

Thanks
Ross

Red90

I think you would first need to help narrow down what type of tire that you want.

What terrain do you want it to be good on?  Pavement, wet pavement, dirt, mud, ice, snow?

Do you care about noise, tread life?

Do you want it to be durable off road?

binch

Cheers, Bill

RossM

Quote from: Red90 on December 12, 2017, 08:11 PM
I think you would first need to help narrow down what type of tire that you want.

What terrain do you want it to be good on?  Pavement, wet pavement, dirt, mud, ice, snow?

Do you care about noise, tread life?

Do you want it to be durable off road?
Ok good point, mostly pavement and back country gravel. Not a serious off roader. Have had enough of that in my job. Minimal winter use and no need for excessive road noise. So what I am looking for is an all rounder light truck tire. It would appear that the number of tires that fit the narrow rims is limited.??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SpeedyJ

Have a look for Yokohama Y742's. They look 'right' and come in 7.50 x 16. They should come in at almost half the price of the XZLs. I was able to source them through Kal-Tire. They are awesome all around tires, but I wouldn't call them winter tires, you'll still need to chain up when it gets nasty.

Red90

You are not really asking much of the tires, so whatever suits the look you want would be fine.  Something not too blocky if the noise is an issue.  235/85R16 is very common and will be fine for the 5.5" rims unless you are really wanting the skinny look.  It is a standard fitment for most Defenders.

binch

The XZL is a good ditch digger and cuts through the mud to the bottom (gravel or axle, which ever hits first) but they are terrible tires in wet or frozen surfaces.    I had a pair of Michelin XLT winter radials on my 110 for 90% of my use.   They are fully winter rated for ice and snow, very quiet and the traction on them was great!   I even used them on Red90's winter excursions into Wiaporous...I just added my chains and life was brilliant!    I had to retire them after 8 years due to cracking in between the treads, even though there was lots of tread left.    But safety first right!?!?   

I only put my heavy mud lugs on for the tough trips where every advantage was worth it.   But those tires don't last long and they are noise as heck!!!!

You certainly have your choice of tires out there for sure! 
Cheers, Bill

ugly_90

I have both new XZL and the Yokohama Y742S. The Yoko has a fairly old style of tread pattern, and is probably your best option for a currently produced steel-belt mud/snow radial in the tall and skinny 7.50x16.

I shopped around on mine, they seem to be distributed by Tri-Can Distributors, who won't sell to individuals, but to garages. It appears the tire shops like Kal might get it through them, and stock seems a bit limited. I ended up getting mine from what is now Trail Tire.

If you want ice winter tires, highway wheels, there's probably more modern tread options.