Undercoating suggestions

Started by dell-man, November 29, 2017, 10:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dell-man

As I'm new to this forum and being a proud Defender 90 owner, I'm looking for advice from those in the know.

As I'll be driving the Defender year round, I'm looking to apply undercoating to it in order to protect and, to a certain degree, sound proof it a bit.  What is the suggested undercoating & rustproofing that people here have had success with and which company/location would you suggest?

Thanks,

Marc

Trevor

I haven't done my Defender, but I did have my F350 undercoat done at Ming on the south side (34 ave and 99 st). They've been doing it for a gazzillion years and it works very well.
"You will be hollow. We shall squeeze you empty, and then we shall fill you with ourselves."
― George Orwell, 1984

Freedom Convoy Truckers -- Canadian Heroes!
Justin Trudeau --Enemy of the People!

dell-man

Which type of undercoating did you go with as there's several types i.e. Paraffin-Based, Rubber-Based, and Asphalt-Based Undercoats.  Also, did you find that what you used appeared to gunk up any of the drive-train or anything else that you may want to have access to?

Red90

I've been using the Rust Check coat and protect from CT.  Seems to do fine.  Do a clean and touch up of bare areas every fall.  Use an underbody spray gun to get inside the frame.

Like this: https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00LKORP6M/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I2T2MR8N5LKIPK&colid=35HMKTSLU6CLD

Make sure you get into the lower areas of the footwells, the bulkhead cavities and the bottom of the doors.

I would not use anything that dries.  Water eventually gets behind them and rusts away without you knowing.  Getting inside the frame and cavities is the most important thing.  They normally rust from the inside out.

binch

If you have a good space that can be protected (lots of drop cloths or plastic and a hazmat suit) you can waxoil the frame and under side.    There are commercial products available and there are recipes for making your own.

Here's the recipe if you're feeling adventurous:

Here is a recipe for home made "Waxoyl". It's an old fashioned rust treatment / undercoating:

2 1/2 quarts turpentine
12 oz. beeswax / candle wax
1 quart light machine oil

With a cheese shredder, cut the wax into the turpentine, stir until the wax has dissolved, (takes a long time; you can use very low heat (a warm room) to aid but be careful) and thin with the machine oil to a brushable / sprayable consistency. Apply liberally. You can use a hand spray bottle to get into closed-off sections if you have a small access hole.

Please be sensible when you make this stuff; don't go breathing the fumes or applying heat and burning down your house. If you have any doubts about it, err on the side of caution and just buy a commercially available product.

waxoyl works great! ;D
Cheers, Bill