Receiver mount for winch in ARB bumper

Started by headdamage, September 19, 2017, 10:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

headdamage

I've been thinking of making a receiver mount that will fit into the ARB bumper on the RRC so that I can swap out the winch when not needed. Any problems with this other than the winch will stick out further?

I've just found this photos of a Toyota with the same idea implemented:

pechanec

Other than sticking out, it works fine. I've built one on my D2 ( running a D1 ARB). But if you have the corrugated crash impact cans, the receiver must mount to the ARB winch mount plate or a solid frame mount, otherwise it will distort the cans when winching hard

Sent from my XP7700 using Tapatalk

pechanec

If I can figure out how to post pics, I'll take one of my setup

Red90

Beyond the stickout, the biggest downside, is that you would not be able to do much of a side pull without bending the receiver tube.  Occasionally it is a saviour.

headdamage

Perhaps a twin receiver (side by side) design? I have the old two tube receiver from my 110 that I was going to install on my 90. I could then share a winch between the 90 and the RRC.

Red90

pechanec

Pics of our ARB receiver mount

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

headdamage

That looks like a good way to do it but my ARB doesn't have crush cans and is designed for a winch so I don't see a problem with attaching the receiver to the ARB alone.

pechanec

In that case, it should work just fine

B-Red

I have my winch imbedded inside the ARB bumper. It already projects far enough in the front. The housing does protect it against damage on the trail. I also have the wireless remote on the winch. Sure reduces the clutter when winching.
The front receiver idea is not bad either for other attachments.

pechanec

Imbedded is better for clearance, but worse for cleaning and maintenance. We keep our receiver mount winch in the shed when we aren't Wheeling so it gets less road salt. Haven't really had problems with approach angle even with the longer overhang. Pros and cons either way