Weird running/ stalling issue

Started by davis911s, August 01, 2017, 10:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

davis911s

Chad M stopped by, has a great idea. I am going to bypass the mechanical pump and run the fuel line direct from the electric pump to the carb and see if anything changes.

I do not know why the PO put in an electric pump, but I assume there was something wrong to start with. The other thing I do to know is if there is a diaphragm in the mechanical pump, or if he just bypassed it?

Hopefully will get a chance in the next week or 2 to check it out, but I am definitely getting closer

davis911s

UPDATE

Did what Chad recommended. Bypassed the mechanical pump, so fuel goes from tank to electric pump and then direct to the carb. Works like a charm. I have only taken it for short drive, but it idled great for 10 minutes, and has started and idled 3 times since. Prior to this it only would idle for 2 minutes or so then die, so I assume all is well.

So with engine NOT running, the electric pump would push fuel all the way and fill the carb bowl. As soon as the engine was running, the mechanical pump would close to flow of fuel to the carb, the engine would burn off whatever was in the bowl and die due to lack of fuel.

I will buy a rebuild kit for the mech pump next time I make an order and rebuild it in warmer weather.

Thanks everybody

Red90

Make sure the fuel has not been making it into the crankcase.  If the diaphragm failed it is possible.

davis911s

Thanks Red. I checked the dipstick and did not see any indication of fuel in there. Good point, if fuel in there that would not be good