Pick n Pull Calgary ( Barlow)

Started by Bargrip, April 13, 2017, 07:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bargrip

Was Just in there on Wednesday a few vehicles of interest:

96 D1 90% complete ( all running gear etc..)
97 D 1 no engine all running gear still there
Range rover late 90s I think ( air suspension etc)
Range rover (out side not processed when I was there ) looks like a 2003> model

if anyone is interested...

binch

sounds like some good kit there! :)
Cheers, Bill

dylanh19

good to know! I might be in need of a new lt230. started to hear some strange metal rattling upon re-engaging the throttle after shifting up gears. Sounds like its coming from underneath the passenger row.

Trevor

Check all your muffler, hangers and exhaust connections. They're notorious for rattling loose and making sounds like much more expensive drive train components are coming apart.
"You will be hollow. We shall squeeze you empty, and then we shall fill you with ourselves."
― George Orwell, 1984

Freedom Convoy Truckers -- Canadian Heroes!
Justin Trudeau --Enemy of the People!

Red90

An LT230 failing is pretty rare. It would be the last thing I would look at.

Alex C

spare LT 230 is good to have especial for a Defender if you want to try a different ratio, at pickapart prices it should be a barging, i would take the rear axle and drive shafts also, i picked up a used D1 last year specifically for the transfer case and the disc brake rear, going into the shed for future projects,
D90 200Tdi     67 S2a 88"

dylanh19

Thanks fellas. I came across this article (http://www.landroveraddict.com/land-rover-defender/73/lt230-the-best-ever-transfer-box) and thought perhaps I was experiencing some of the similar gearbox mainshaft spline failures detailed in the article, or perhaps I'm jumping one issue to the next. I have been experiencing "the distinct knock from the central transmission area when taking up the drive" for about a year now, and thought maybe the splines had finally failed and that was contributing to the rattling. I will have a crawl around today and check muffler hangers and exhaust.

Red90

Unfortunately, if the splines do wear, they normally wear off of the gearbox output shaft first and replacing the transfer case won't help.  You can easily check it out by removing the PTO cover (6 bolt round cover).

There are a lot of places in the drivetrain that can develop slack, this is only one place.  Drive flanges are another bad one.

Bargrip

So went back to pick and pull on Sunday  and they now have;
2 p38's
2  D2 disco's
1 04 RR
and 3 or 4 D1's
oh and a few freelanders........ ::)

Talking to Gary @ TRS sounds like a few came from their place.....
did find a random diff lock knob (Round Head style) in the back of a p38 RR from a defender ( and the threads are not stripped.)

quite a few are missing engines but lots of good parts still to be had...

bumpydormobile

Can you please check for me if they have a rear fog light switch from the D2's  2003 Disco part#  YUE000300PUY

Thanks
David

Bargrip

I will swing by after work probably Wednesday and have a look  for you....np