Discovery Diff Guards / gas tank Guard

Started by Cruzer, April 09, 2016, 07:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cruzer

Does any one know some one in the Alberta area fabricating these items ?

Looking to add to my 2000 disco

binch

look toward the UK.  Lots of stuff over there and prices are pretty good right now.
Cheers, Bill

B-Red

I have mine fitted from front to back.
Discovery 2 has good line of options.
RBK Front bumper looks great but weight is a problem. Britpart has front and back pumbers that are great and light. I would galvanize them as the paint work on them is poor.
Metafirma has gas tank, diff guards and steering gaurds with good quality. Then you add the engine transmission gaurd. Last is your rock sliders.
With the above you are ready for the mud and the rocks.
Factor in a 2" lift with heavily duty shocks and springs.
Most important is adding the central diff lock back in. 2000 has all the internal gears but not the stick. Britpart has a kit.
There is more to do when you start going down the path of reinventing the Disco. It's worth every penny.
Cheers. Emad

Cruzer

Good thanks for info,

I have bumpers, sliders, lift, diff lock(300 TDI with matching transmission and box ) snorkel(tested and works :), just thought I would see if some one has made up any in there back yard or know one that had locally

Got to save a buck :)

Red90

The "best" diff guards are made from 8" pipe caps.  Not too hard if you do not mind some fab, but a bit of work.

Matt H

Quote from: Cruzer on April 10, 2016, 01:35 PM
Good thanks for info,

300 TDI with matching transmission and box

Interesting. Not many folks have pulled this conversion off and been able to retain full factory functionality of the vehicle. This is a DII? How did you get the ecm to tolerate the 300tdi oil burner and transmission? Or have you just bypassed it all and run your own gauges etc?
No Road Except For Land-Rover.

Cruzer

Yes 2000 Disco, and she's been a project. Of coarse Air bags gone, no hill decent, and trying to figure out how to get Airconditioning to function correctly. Otherwise everything else is good.

binch

what about legalities of removing the airbags?   Is that quite kosher with registration and insurance ???
Cheers, Bill

Matt H

Red90

Quote from: binch on April 12, 2016, 11:08 AM
what about legalities of removing the airbags?   Is that quite kosher with registration and insurance ???

I "think" he is meaning "suspension air springs" and you are thinking "crash protection air bags".  But I've been wrong before...

Cruzer

Lol

Suspension air bags, but on the other airbags don't think those things even work

binch

yeah, that's what I was thinking...collision air bags....
Cheers, Bill

Matt H

Actually, Bill brings up a good point. I had some issues with this myself.

My Disco 1 is a 1997 model year so it's an OBD II vehicle and as such communication with the SRS is done through the OBD II diagnostic port.

When the vehicle was converted from a V8 auto to 300tdi manual whoever did the work just dissconnected everything so the SRS no longer can be checked via the OBD II port.

It all still functions as the SRS is nessasarily a stand alone system but when it came to having an OOP inspection this became an issue with the tester that took some extra work to overcome. Basically we had to verify the SRS manually in order to satisfy the OOP standards.

Knowing this now if I were to convert a late model vehicle I would retain as much of the OBDII system as possible even if I didn't need it. Perhaps just the ability to temporarily connect the ecu to facilitate communications?

Cruzer

I can still hook up to computer as it still needed but the main function not really there.

And never plan on leaving Alberta, LOL

She runs Awsome off road but lacks power on highway speeds, such as passing is pretty much a death wish. I hope to add a complete tuning package, but not to worried as I would rather have gears for off road then highway

A project I don't mind fooling with.