NEW HIP

Started by roverwanabe, November 15, 2016, 11:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roverwanabe

Finally got an appointment with the surgeon for December.  Should be getting a hip replacement within 2 to 4 months after that.  May be able to drive the Land Rover again.

Trevor

Congrats! That's great news! I'm curious, how long did the process take from the point you first identified the problem, until now?

I'm just starting the process to get mine replaced. I've had little success thus far working our pos medical system and getting things moving forward properly. I just got the go ahead for an MRI yesterday from my GP (who I'm replacing btw). I haven't received a date for the MRI yet but I'm told the wait times are pretty long (up to a year). Fortunately I can get one of those privately in a pinch, which I'll do to move things along.

I think I will just go to the US and have mine done there if this looks like the Canadian system will show its typical ineffectiveness and ask me to suffer for years.

Quite curious how long you had to wait for though.
"You will be hollow. We shall squeeze you empty, and then we shall fill you with ourselves."
― George Orwell, 1984

Freedom Convoy Truckers -- Canadian Heroes!
Justin Trudeau --Enemy of the People!

B-Red

So, in Landrover fashion, what are the signs that you need a HIP replacement?
I see many people having it done.
Beside that, what's the cost on an import?(out of Canada)
Just so I can budget watch out for it :-)

Trevor

Cost for getting it done in a timely manner (i.e. in the US) varies quite a bit based on region. But as a ballpark, budget for around US$20,000 for the full "servicing" down south. There are excellent clinics throughout the US that specialize in only orthopedic work, but costs vary. You can spend a lot more, I believe the average from a recent study is $30,000, and it revealed areas like the populated east coast where cost can get up to the $60k range, But keep in mind they have a lot of VERY high end services down south as well...it's an open market, so they cater to all needs, hence the wide spread in pricing.

In your line of work and with your connections Emad if you get to that point, just start asking around and you'll find lots of recommendations. Our system is completely broken, so lots of people are forced to go south for the procedure to maintain some semblance of life quality. And I may be one who can offer a recommendation in short order. 

"You will be hollow. We shall squeeze you empty, and then we shall fill you with ourselves."
― George Orwell, 1984

headdamage

roverwanabe

TO ALL

I had a back problem for years, lower back, and assumed that was the problem.  My leg was hurting, the right one, usually the back causes the left leg to hurt, leg would get numb and felt like it was seizing up.  Knee hurt, from limping, and had trouble reaching down to tie my shoe etc.

Went to the doctor in FEB 2015 and that's when the process started.  Once I was identified by way of XRAYs and MRIs etc, I should have been referred  then but my family doctor said and I quote

"you are are a bit young (64) so lets see if we can wait until you are a bit older, like 70, because they only last about 10 years and by the time you need a new one you will probably be dead anyway"

I was referred to the MSK Clinic in DEC I think and called in for screening on MAR 20 2016.  A retired surgeon did the screening and basically said he looked at the XRAY and you need a new hip, that's it, your hip is shot.  AR is the cause which is just wear and tear, he said.  When I told him what my Doctor said he laughed.  He said " your doctor is out to lunch, they last 15 to 25 years and they just had one in  recently that was done 39 years ago.

At that point I was put on the list for a surgeon to pick me up and put me in his schedule.
Last Thursday I received the letter to meet the surgeon on DEC 9.  From what I was told it will be another 2-4 months after that.
I could be done within 1 year which is pretty good as I was expecting to be waiting 16-24 months.

FOR INFO
The shortest waiting lists in Canada are NFLD, PEI and MAN.  Canada is comparable to most western countries INCLUDING  the US.  Some Scandinavian countries are faster but that's because they are better at  Social Programs and don't mind paying the taxes to support them.  I prefer our system to the US and I HAVE NO PROBLEM PAY TAXES TO SUPPORT OUR SYSTEM.  I would be bankrupt if I lived in the US as I have developed other health problems recently and most likely would not qualify for health insurance or pay a fortune for it.  I actually talked to a guy from California and that's what he said.

My research shows the US is no better than Canada and in fact if you are poor or cannot afford health insurance you may never get one down there.  If you have the money you can get it done, like everything.  A lot of Americans go to a clinic in Belgium as it's faster, costs about 35K US.

Also, my father had the same AR problem, one older brother already had two hips done and another 1 year older is in worst shape than me.  Family curse, genetics etc.  If your family has a history, you will probably get it.

Sorry for the rambling but there is info there that may help someone.

Trevor

Thanks for the info on your timelines, much appreciated. That was the info I was curious about! That is about what I had expected to hear...2-3 years total from start to operation time.

Insofar as the two systems go, there is no "better" when comparing the US and Canadian systems as that is just too subjective a term applied to two VERY flawed systems. What you think is important (example: universality) and of great value, I do not. What I think is important (immediate quality care as a priority), you are ok with sacrificing some of (I assume) to allow for universality. Those two paths will never cross. More importantly, a Canadian universally funded system such as we have now will never achieve both...that is simply not affordable or sustainable.

The US system IS much faster though, that much is undeniable. That is largely because it allows me the choice to pay for an accelerated path, a "partially" accelerated path, or simply follow the timeline provided by the normal flow insurance (on average about 4-6 months for joints, average across the US). In the US you have a choice....you can choose not to suffer. I could book myself for a hip replacement and have it completed inside a month.  In Canada, you simply do not have that choice. You MUST suffer.

Canada's implementation of universality is what is flawed because of its exclusion of the private care option. The ideal system imo, and as shown by the successful "universal" systems around the globe, is one that allows for both. Universality, but with private care options that one can choose to follow if you are willing to pay for them. Such a format is shown to take a significant load of the public system, and speeds wait times for those that can't afford private options simply by pulling headcount from the public to the private side. They are also more efficient as the private/public combination does breed efficiency transfers from the private to the public.

― George Orwell, 1984

binch

Hey Trever-Bubba,   I didn't realize your hip was so bad there....  I hear Craig has a spare box a lye and a few .22 left over.   If you ask him nice like he might take into the back 40 with one of the other old horses.    And if he aint in a good mood it'll be quick and painless too!    If you talk nice & purty to 'em he may even let'cha butt in to th front of th line ;-)

All kidding aside....I've had a few friends getting the knee or hip surgery done.....   Time was between 1.3 and 3 years.    The fella that took 3 years had trouble getting his weight done to a 'safe' level, before the surgeons would begin.   But when they decided it was time he was in, getting both kneeds done at the same time, within 4 months.      And before he had it done you would cringe in pain watching him walk 10 feet!??!?!     But now that it's done he's a new man!   No trouble walking and his knees have straighten up so much he's gained a good 4" in height.

Common Brian....give a whistle!!!! ;)

Cheers, Bill

Trevor

ok, let's put Craig as "Option #3"...If the prior two don't pan out (Canada, then US), you can give Craig a call!  ;D

That's good to hear on the shorter timelines Bill. As you know from my earlier post, I'm just starting down this path. One thing I have found thus far though is that you need to be pretty aggressive and keep pushing, and don't take "no" for an answer. Without that the system is painfully slow and very much works against you.

And yes, on the positive side of it all, these operations have become pretty standard and, especially with hips, you get relief immediately. I've chatted with several folks as well that have had the procedure done and it's pretty amazing how well they feel after.

Looking forward to that bit!
― George Orwell, 1984

Red90

Trevor

― George Orwell, 1984

Matt H

Universal Heath care only works if you force those able to pay for "better/faster" options to not do so and stand in line with the rest of us forcing the issue of improvement.  Obviously this isn't going to work.

The American system only works if you can afford it. So that's not really great either if you can't.

A hybrid system ensures the lions share of the best medical staff end up in the 'for profit' care facilities reducing the effectiveness of the others. Therefore exacerbating the current inequality in society.

As a side note, Steve Austin's procedures cost a mere $6 million. That is beginning to sound more and more reasonable! 
No Road Except For Land-Rover.

Trevor

Quote from: Matt H on November 17, 2016, 10:30 AM

A hybrid system ensures the lions share of the best medical staff end up in the 'for profit' care facilities reducing the effectiveness of the others. Therefore exacerbating the current inequality in society.

Sorry, this argument holds no water. You're ALREADY losing top talent to other jurisdictions for higher pay under the Canadian system. What's worse, we are paying to subsidize their education, and their training at a huge cost. Then they take their families (which is usually 2 doctors, because that's what doctors do, they marry doctors) and all the money we've spent on them, and head south...or where ever.

That's just part of it though. We lose the most important part...we lose all the tax on their future revenues, the tax revenues on their practices and the people they hire, the advantages of their high-earning salaries purchasing power in our own economies, AND the potential of their children's contribution as well since they are likely to be well schooled and high-pay earners as well. This is happening already, in spades. And we gain what for it? Worse care for all and lower GDP. Swell, great model.

In a two tier system you have a greater chance of keeping that in Canada, and that benefits everyone top to bottom in more ways than you can count.

...or you can simply let them keep going south, and let all that money follow them. Quality of care here doesn't change, it still sucks hind teet.

For those that can afford it though this is entirely academic really and doesn't make a lot of difference. They are already part of a 2- tier system as it is. They just contribute to the US economy, not Alberta's, for their health care. I'm sure if you ask any of them they would MUCH rather spend the money here and help Alberta, and Albertan's, rather than taking the money down south. I know I would.

― George Orwell, 1984

headdamage

Perhaps it is time to put an end to the protectionist system that makes it difficult for doctors trained overseas to practice in Canada. Some for other medical professionals that want to move here.

Trevor

Quote from: headdamage on November 17, 2016, 01:46 PM
Perhaps it is time to put an end to the protectionist system that makes it difficult for doctors trained overseas to practice in Canada. Some for other medical professionals that want to move here.

Couldn't agree more.
― George Orwell, 1984