I've seen the light!!!

Started by binch, December 01, 2015, 06:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Red90

As I explained above....the rich people buy the diesel because they can tell their friends that they are being nice to the planet.  Power and torque have nothing to do with it.  If you are not one of those people, you buy the gas version.  They are not selling them for shits and giggles.  They are selling them because of the demand.

For what it is worth the supercharged V8 is 461 lb-ft@2500 rpm.  The diesel is 440@1750.  I imagine for most people the diesel feels as strong.  The average person never uses the available power.  The diesel is a better comparison to the V6 supercharged though as they are similar in price.  Performance is close, but the much higher torque would feel a lot better to drive and uses 30% less fuel.

Red90

Maybe if they had brought in the TDV8, Trevor would be happy... probably not.

http://www.landrover.co.uk/vehicles/range-rover/pricing-and-specifications.html

Trevor, have you test driven any of these new RRs?

The TDV6 hybrid would have been the one to bring in.  More performance and better mileage than the regular TDV6. 5.9 l/100km on the highway is crazy.

Trevor

Quote from: Red90 on December 03, 2015, 10:55 AM

For what it is worth the supercharged V8 is 461 lb-ft@2500 rpm.  The diesel is 440@1750.  I imagine for most people the diesel feels as strong.  The average person never uses the available power.  The diesel is a better comparison to the V6 supercharged though as they are similar in price.  Performance is close, but the much higher torque would feel a lot better to drive and uses 30% less fuel.

Its the SVR version you want to look at John, for the latest, biggest, baddest variant of the V8. That one you reference is the older version that I had in mine. Here's a link to the SVR V8 Supercharged data...

http://buyersguide.caranddriver.com/land-rover/range-rover-sport-supercharged-svr/specs#features

I haven't driven the SVR yet (or any of the newer ones). Quite honestly I kinda lost interest over the last few years since I have a surplus of vehicles now and don't really need another SUV. If I was going to look at buying a new SUV though it would probably be a Grand Cherokee or similar. Better price point with pretty similar content as the Rangies....although not as much "umph" as the Rangies to be sure....at least until they drop a Hellcat engine in one :)
"You will be hollow. We shall squeeze you empty, and then we shall fill you with ourselves."
― George Orwell, 1984

Freedom Convoy Truckers -- Canadian Heroes!
Justin Trudeau --Enemy of the People!

Red90

Oh, I see.  Only in the Sport.  $125000 for the SVR versus $83000 for the diesel.  Not quite the apples to apples with that price split.  The diesel price point is in the range of the supercharged V6 and the diesel seems to make more sense if that is your budget.  33% more torque and 25% better mileage.

Matt H

I passed Ford dealer the other day. They have loaded HD trucks on the lot for well over $80K and one "special" unit with big tyres etc for $114K!!

Suddenly a new Range Rover seems like good value.

Perception is funny isn't it? You can drive a base model Range Rover Sport and everyone assumes your rolling in cash yet nobody bats an eyelid if you were to drive a pickup truck of the same value.
No Road Except For Land-Rover.

binch

Quote from: Red90 on December 03, 2015, 02:02 PM
Oh, I see.  Only in the Sport.  $125000 for the SVR versus $83000 for the diesel.  Not quite the apples to apples with that price split.  The diesel price point is in the range of the supercharged V6 and the diesel seems to make more sense if that is your budget.  33% more torque and 25% better mileage.

That surprized me!    I assumed that LR would follow the NA trend of charging a premium for the diesel option, but instead it's lower.....    Zoom Zoom With a good fuel range too.  Gotta love that ::)
Cheers, Bill

Red90

Quote from: binch on December 03, 2015, 07:54 PM
That surprized me!    I assumed that LR would follow the NA trend of charging a premium for the diesel option, but instead it's lower.....    Zoom Zoom With a good fuel range too.  Gotta love that ::)

The diesel in the same trim is $1000 more than the V6 gas, so a slight premium.  You would be crazy to buy the V6 gasser, IMO.

The regular V8 is $10000 more and the SVR another $30000....  I always find it funny when the trim premium is more than a nice car.

B-Red

I was at the dealership on Friday. They had the ideal RRsport on display. Very well appointed vehicle. I did not ask for a test drive because I know my weaknesses.
However, with all the variations of SUVs in my fleet, I think am good for now.  Diesel or gas, as long as it gets me to where I want to be.

Yep...another 15 minutes and I may have made an offer. ;-)

Matt H

Four Wheeler magazine is testing vehicles for their annual four wheeler of the year feature right now and they have Range Rover Sport units. The SVR and the diesel.

They are up against the revamped Jeep Grand Cherokee.

It will be interesting how they fair against the GC and the magazines domestic bias. The Sport has won the completion before but when the then new LR4 went head to head against the GC it lost out.

The LR showed up a day late and missed an event and was penalized so the GC won despite coming behind the LR in all remaining tests (save retail price) and breaking its transfer case, due to a serious design fault, on a hill climb and needing a second unit to finish the test.

I call chinanagans!

Red90

I'll be nice and throw Matt some Jeep bashing....  A guy at work bought GC in a police auction.  He tells me it is only driving in low range and can I have a look.  It only has two modes.  Low range, part time and high range, full time.  Anyway, the front diff was broken.  I'm guessing the center diff has been killed as well from the broken front diff as it would get no rear wheel power at all....  Anywho, the front diff is ridiculously small.  I'll measure it when it is out, but I would hazard a guess at 6".  Really silly for something that should be able to go off road.

Red90

Soon to be in a Ford near you....

http://www.autoblog.com/2015/12/17/ford-f150-jaguar-land-rover-diesel-spy-shots/
QuoteOur spy photographers just caught this Ford F-150 driving around Dearborn, wearing camouflage around the bed â€" not so unusual near Ford's headquarters. What's interesting with this particular mule is that it might be packing a Jaguar-Land Rover turbodiesel V6.

Matt H

The Chev Colorado is ready and will be for sale soon with a 4cyl TDI Duranax option.

headdamage

I would really like a good pickup with a reasonable sized diesel, not the 6 + liter ones that are in the full size trucks now. The dodge ecodiesel motor seems good, just don't like the truck. Of course if I could buy a 130 puma I'd be very happy.

Matt H

The Duramax is a 2.8L inline four cylinder.

Red90

Apparently that us why Ford is planning to use the 3.0 l Jag V6.  The 3.2 inline 5 they use on the Transit does not beat Dodge.  The Jag engine beats them all.  Good for marketing...

Duramax 2.8:
181 hp and 369 lb-ft

Ram: 3.0-liter V-6
240 hp and 420 lb-ft

Jag 3l V6
254 hp and  443 lb-ft

Powerstroke 3.2 I5
185 hp and 350 lb-ft

The powerstroke is the one we should care about as it should bolt to the latest Defender 6 speed box.