I've seen the light!!!

Started by binch, December 01, 2015, 06:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

binch

Susan and I were on our way home from her work when I pulled up to a stop light and realized the vehicle in front of me was a RR  HSE  TdV6.   Then the light changed and it took off.    Not sure I saw what I thought I saw I raced to catch up to it at the next light.   Sure enough.....it said "HSE TdV6" on the lower left of the tail gate!!!   

I didn't know they were here yet........ :D
Cheers, Bill

Red90

http://www.landrover.ca/en/vehicles/range-rover/models.html

Only starting at $108000.

Not sure what there is to get excited about.

Already a Rover

binch

Quote from: Red90 on December 01, 2015, 06:44 PM
Not sure what there is to get excited about.

They are finally bringing the diesels in!!!!     Give it 5 to 8 years and I'll be able to afford one second hand.... ;D

But I see it's only the RR that has the diesel option....Great torque though....
Cheers, Bill

Red90

Quote from: binch on December 01, 2015, 10:56 PM
They are finally bringing the diesels in!!!!     Give it 5 to 8 years and I'll be able to afford one second hand.... ;D

So?  Everyone else has had a diesel SUV for years.  Just another overpriced soccer mom SUV.

Red90

Quote from: binch on December 01, 2015, 10:56 PM
But I see it's only the RR that has the diesel option....Great torque though....

It comes in the RR Sport as well.

binch

Heck, even LR has had diesels in all their vehicles for years.....but now they are FINALLY starting to bringing them into NA.   Unfortunately they didn't bother binging the Discovery over too...or should I say LR series.  But it's a start......
Cheers, Bill

Red90

Quote from: binch on December 02, 2015, 10:03 AM
Heck, even LR has had diesels in all their vehicles for years.....but now they are FINALLY starting to bringing them into NA.   Unfortunately they didn't bother binging the Discovery over too...or should I say LR series.  But it's a start......

I meant in Canada, all of the other Euro brands have had diesels for years in their SUVs.

I believe there is a plan for diesels in the Discoverys as well, but it is waiting for the new Discovery to get here first.  I also believe that they will all get Discovery badging as well.

binch

I've seen a disco sport here a couple of times in the past few months as well.   But it's more like a oversized Freelander 2, just  smaller then a normal disco.
Cheers, Bill

Red90

Yes, the Discovery Sports are here.  There is a new "Discovery" coming, probably next model year.  Based on the way, they normally do these sort of things, they will wait a model year or two to bring in a diesel.

http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/spy-shots/land-rover/land-rover-new-2016-discovery-defender-and-more-to-come/

Of course, the VW scandal may impact the diesel coming in.  There is really only one reason that they are sell diesels in these overpriced minivans.  It makes the rich people feel that they are being environmentally friendly by driving something with slightly better mileage.  There are no other reasons.

Trevor

I'm still a big fan of the gas-powered supercharged engines in the newer Rangies (Sport, RR). Better power/performance than the diesels. But then again I'm not really interested in fuel economy at all with that type of vehicle, just performance. So my measuring stick is likely different than others.

If they make a Defender that goes back to something we might deem "outdoor enthusiast oriented", a diesel would be a nice option for it. That extra range when traveling at tick-over for long distances in the bush, is very nice.
"You will be hollow. We shall squeeze you empty, and then we shall fill you with ourselves."
― George Orwell, 1984

Freedom Convoy Truckers -- Canadian Heroes!
Justin Trudeau --Enemy of the People!

Matt H

So?  Everyone else has had a diesel SUV for years.  Just another overpriced soccer mom SUV.

Well, they have finally bothered to make an oil burner that can pass the emissions regs over here. Land Rover have never sold Diesels here, not even in the Series day's so it's a big step.  No more excuses like "Americans/Canadians just don't want diesels, too slow" or "diesels won't sell" or even "owners don't list MPG as a priority in a new vehicle".

Compared to the (slower and just as thirsty, as the V8 in my 10 year old LR3) the 16-19 mpg supercharged V6 currently offered in the LR4, that's an improvement. Plus, it opens the door for the new 4 cylinder engine in the smaller units like the scheduled North American diesel powered 2016 Disco Sport.

This is Land Rover NA after all, and out in the colonies you have to take what you can get. Any progress is still progress.
No Road Except For Land-Rover.

binch

Oh Trevor......you have to try the diesel RR sport.   It has sooo much torque it wants to tear the axles off from standing start  :-)       It just wants to fly!!!!! ;D
Cheers, Bill

Trevor

Quote from: binch on December 03, 2015, 12:58 AM
Oh Trevor......you have to try the diesel RR sport.   It has sooo much torque it wants to tear the axles off from standing start  :-)       It just wants to fly!!!!! ;D

Oh, remember that the V8 supercharged in the RRS has 502 ft/lbs of torque, and 542 hp. This allows it a 0-60mph time of 4.7 seconds. The diesel, alternatively, puts out 440ft/lbs of torque and 254 hp, giving it a 0-60mph performance of 7.1 seconds. The supercharged V8 is far superior if you want something that gets up and moves. There's really not much of a comparison between the two, noticeably more torque and a boatload more hp from the gas-pot. The old V8 supercharged is also a better option than the diesel if performance is what you are after.

I've got nothing against the diesel, it seem like a pretty good engine. I would never buy one in a RR though...the V8 is a better fit for me.
"You will be hollow. We shall squeeze you empty, and then we shall fill you with ourselves."
― George Orwell, 1984

Freedom Convoy Truckers -- Canadian Heroes!
Justin Trudeau --Enemy of the People!

binch

Yeah...you're right again Tevor... LOL.   But I just look at those specs and compare them to my 4.0 disco.   Double up on all categories and still get 50% better fuel economy.      ::)   
Cheers, Bill