Project

Started by headdamage, January 17, 2018, 11:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

headdamage

At present I have the 90, RRC swb 200tdi, and a 2006 2500HD extended cab short box Duramax. I'd like a long range off road truck for camping and exploring. I'm temped to build up the 2500HD with a small camper but it is terrible off road and on rough roads compared to the rovers. I could tow the 90 with the 2500HD.

I find the 90 and the RRC a bit limited for space. I really liked my old 110 and have been looking to build a 110 to replace the RRC and/or 2500HD.

I can't sell the 90 because of it having been built by my Dad and the related memories. I'm trying to decided if I should turn the 90 into a 110 with the addition of a 110 chassis etc... or should I build a complete 110 in addition to the 90?

Is the RRC worth anything if I sell it or do I part it out and use what I can from it to build a 110?

How nuts would it be to convert the 90 or RRC to 6x6? Check out this 90 convert to 6x6 by Foley's:

http://www.thisfabtrek.com/land-rover/land-rover.php

I wonder how good or bad this 6x6 would be to use over here?

Here is a RRC:

Trevor

Well, there's certainly a lot of "coolness" factor to a 6x6.

How practical is it over say a standard 110 or 130? Probably not much at all for what we do.
"You will be hollow. We shall squeeze you empty, and then we shall fill you with ourselves."
― George Orwell, 1984

Freedom Convoy Truckers -- Canadian Heroes!
Justin Trudeau --Enemy of the People!

binch

Yeah...definitely the cool factor is there...but the practical nature of it...hard to say.    But the turning radius....wow....you'll have to book a tug to pull you around corners in the winter LOL.    But for all the memories in the 90.....keep it as the 90 you and your dad worked on ;)
Cheers, Bill

Red90

The 6x6 is more problematic because there are no off the shelf ways to drive the rear axle that will not bankrupt you.

A 3 door 110 makes the most sense.  There must be some BATUS stuff hiding around that is not expensive.  Maybe just steal Mark's.  He'll never use it.  :)

Matt H

Decent Classic Range Rovers are appreciating in value fast. Not too many available in good condition and parts are getting harder and harder to find. So the old Rangie definitely has value.

Instead of a 6x6 have you considered a LWB RRC or a TD5 Disco 2?

Both would have far more cargo room than a 90 and nearly as much as 110. They would be significantly more comfortable to travel long distances than a ex-mod 110 too. As great as old Defenders are, long distances on road are endured more than enjoyed. So it depends on how much serious off road you have in mind?

I still have that really nice straight, rust free, green 1993 LWB RRC looking for new home if your interested? I'd let it go cheap to good home if you fancy building something? It has no engine, transmission, transfer case or front seats but if you canablize your SWB it could make a great long distance tourer.

Or perhaps import a nice LHD TD5 Disco. Bit of a power boost over a 200 Tdi and a giant rear cargo area. Probably the more spendy option though.
No Road Except For Land-Rover.

Red90

Quote from: Matt H on January 18, 2018, 06:09 PMAs great as old Defenders are, long distances on road are endured more than enjoyed.

That is just because you are not quite the right dimensions for one. :)

We did an 8000 km trip this summer in the 90. Super comfy.

headdamage

Although I don't fit in my rovers that well I find the 90 quite comfortable for long drives, in some ways I like it better than the RRC. I think the sitting position in the 90 is more upright and the steering wheel is closer. In the RRC I tend to end up with the seat so far back that I have to strait arm to reach the wheel.

The RRC is much better for load capacity when I take the rear seats out. But where it and the 90 lack compared to the 110 is sleeping in the truck without unloading everything. My old 110 was set up with an elevated platform that I slept on while all the tools, spares, etc... where under it.

I tried a roof tent on the RRC, I is a good solution but my wife is not physically up to safely using it so after a test trip I sold it. If I could add a pop-top or roof extension to the RRC that might work out.

I've been looking for RRC body panels online, not much is available anymore, the defenders however are easier than ever it seems to get spares for.

I could set up the 2500HD but it is not a rover and it is horrible on rough roads. What I really want is a 110 that size of a suburban but that doesn't seem to exist.

Bargrip

What about making a hybrid with your 100" rr chassis and motor and  defender body parts? Or buy the lwb chassis and use that for the extra wheelbase 108" I think......just a thought...
Then you will have a title and vin too.....

Matt H

Hahaha, it's not that I'm the wrong size. I'm just soft...and have a left arm lol.

I get it though. The heart wants what the heart wants and it wants a 110. That's why I eventually succumbed and bought one myself after years of telling myself other LR's would be more suitable.

Matt H

A Forward Control? 101 Series 2B? Even a Bedford MK 4 ton! Although Defenders are like a Rolls Royce compared to a 101.

Seen a few really nice campers built out of 101 vampires/ambulances, Series 109" ambulances and 110/127/130 Defender Ambulances. Would something like that fit the bill? The Defender/Series units  tend to be a bit cheaper than a regular 110 or Station Wagon due to their limited apeal as a daily driver.

Matt H

Matt H

The truly mighty...MK!

headdamage

I've almost bought a Bedford before for this purpose, must not buy...

camo388

Boy oh Boy these guys are giving you more options so I would guess you are no closer to making a decision of what to do.  I've been pondering your question all day and no easy answer. 
First of all I would consider making a 110/130 out of your 90, as that way you would have components that would give you a reminder of the work you and your father did.  100,000 ks from now and the engine still going strong would be a good reminder.  If money got tight and there was a need to sell the 90, you would lose all reminders.  As you don't really like the 2500HD for travel, I'd leave it as is and this would be a quicker sale than the 90, if something had to go.
Rather than try and invent a 6x6, it would be easier to import an ex Australian army Perentie.  But really, where would you use a 6x6 unless going cross country in the trackless Australian desert?
As far as what vehicle you need to build, one must first sit down and decide where you want to go and what you intend to do.  After that I would say there are plenty of books, pictures and web sites of modified LR Series or Defenders that you can get ideas from.  As Matt suggests an ambulance might give you what you need without the extra work of modifying a 110/130 to your needs.  Too bad you missed seeing the Brazilian couple and their nice 110 camper set up.  They have been travelling the world in it.

lropchan

You can read about their vehicle (and the rest of the adventure) on their website - http://www.mundoporterra.com.br/volta-ao-mundo-2/carro-2/. If your Portuguese is a little rusty Google Translate should make it readable. :)