Alexander Mackenzie Trail Trip for 2015

Started by B-Red, March 03, 2015, 10:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Linked Events

binch

Quote from: Trevor on March 06, 2015, 03:08 PM
I found a great thread from a Toyota group that ran it back in (I think) 2013. Some awesome pictures and a good write-up on page 12 of the thread.

CHECK OUT THE TROUT!!!!!

So fair warning, I'll probably just stay on the trail and meet you guys back here sometime in the fall :).

did you forget a link there Trevor?   Or did it go fishing.....     I'm not sure how you will manage on the trail when you can't get the rod in the water....Horrible DT's ;D
Cheers, Bill

Trevor

oops, fixed it Bill. Link is there now.

On page 10 the write-up starts. There's a few pics there of a chainsaw scabbard one guy built to carry his saw on the front. Pretty slick idea.
"You will be hollow. We shall squeeze you empty, and then we shall fill you with ourselves."
― George Orwell, 1984

Freedom Convoy Truckers -- Canadian Heroes!
Justin Trudeau --Enemy of the People!

Trevor

Quote from: Red90 on March 06, 2015, 03:22 PM
Trevor, you could just buy this and stay forever: http://www.landquest.com/detailmain.aspx?propid=13315  This is right on the trail.

ok, that is definitely interesting...and tempting!
"You will be hollow. We shall squeeze you empty, and then we shall fill you with ourselves."
― George Orwell, 1984

binch

Quote from: Trevor on March 06, 2015, 03:48 PM
Trevor, you could just buy this and stay forever: http://www.landquest.com/detailmain.aspx?propid=13315  This is right on the trail.

How do you feel about uninvited guess showing up randomly through out the non-snowy seasons   LOL
Cheers, Bill

Trevor

Quote from: binch on March 06, 2015, 06:52 PM
Quote from: Trevor on March 06, 2015, 03:48 PM

How do you feel about uninvited guess showing up randomly through out the non-snowy seasons   LOL

I'm guessing it wouldn't matter how I feel about it...its gonna happen anyway  ;D
― George Orwell, 1984

binch

Cheers, Bill

Trevor

What do we have for maps, GPS tracks, etc at this stage Emad? I was looking to pickup some more detailed topo maps of the trail area but if we already have a that I won't bother. This, btw, is a pretty good website for topo maps...

http://www.canmaps.com/topo/browse-topo-maps/093.html

Everything there is pretty dated though so offroad trail networks likely won't be accurate, but mountains don't move much so that bit should still be good :).

I also have the Backroads maps for all of Alberta and BC, so it includes this area. As well as their book. Those are 2009 for the last update though I believe.

What else do we have?

― George Orwell, 1984

Red90

I made a Garmin compatible map for the whole area, including all topography.  It is routeable on the GPS and includes all waypoints from previous trips.

http://albertatrailmaps.ca/AMHT/

Trevor

Excellent, thanks John! That's what I'm after
― George Orwell, 1984

B-Red

I have the digital SD for Backroad maps on my labtop. I crossed it with John's 2008 map. It worked very well. I am in the process of writing point by point trail using the UTM coordinate system. I got the idea from the book I borrowed from Bill on hiking the trail.
Am trying to figure out the print feature on the software to see if I can print section by section with TOPO and trail details. The Labtop is coming on the trip too.
This is also on my GPS unit.
I have backroad map books, third revision for BC.
AS for Topo maps, Backroads publishes detailed maps at 1:60000 scale, instead of the 1:250000 scale in the books. I was planning on ordering those in as well.
All of this plus some tracing paper should help chart the trail using traditional compass method and GPS as well. I would have used the Star Gazing method...but it may get us lost on a cloudy day.

Red90

Don't use the old map that I sent early on.  That one was what I use in the 2008 trip.

The one I've linked to is very up to date with the latest road and trail information and should be quite accurate.  I've used a variety of source to obtain the best information.  You can print at high resolution from with Basecamp if you would like paper copies.

B-Red

Thank you John. I will check it on my Labtop later tonight. I am on my phone now.
I tried printing from base camp but it kept printing the whole province. Is there a trick to just printing the trail area? I have access to wide format laser printer and wanted to print the trail at 1:50000 scale

Red90

When you get to the print dialog first choose the printer and the paper size. Next zoom and pan to the section that you want to print with the zoom buttons on the top of the dialog.  You can also spilt across multiple pages with the dialog of you want more manageable sizes of paper.

Red90

Note this is a very large area and 1:50000 will be multiple full sized map sheets.