Camel replica

Started by Trevor, July 10, 2015, 07:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trevor

This is a very cool Camel replica, for sale in Vancouver...

http://vancouver.craigslist.ca/van/cto/5106419622.html

From the perspective of CT history something like this is not common at all, and pretty significant as Jeeps did start that epic adventure. Price is quite reasonable too. Unfortunately I have less than 0 space for another vehicle, or I'd likely have bought this already.
"You will be hollow. We shall squeeze you empty, and then we shall fill you with ourselves."
― George Orwell, 1984

Freedom Convoy Truckers -- Canadian Heroes!
Justin Trudeau --Enemy of the People!

B-Red

Thanks very much Trevor. Now I have to learn Portuguese and Spanish and get an export permit.
4000 km through the heart of the Amazon. Who can resist!!!

binch

Did they actually finish?   I thought there was a motorcycle in there too..... :o
Cheers, Bill

Trevor

Quote from: binch on July 10, 2015, 07:53 PM
Did they actually finish?   I thought there was a motorcycle in there too..... :o

I don't believe there was a motorbike on that one, or I haven't read anything about one at least. They did make it through, although short one Jeep. I've often thought this would have been one of the thoughest of the expeditions simply because it was the first, it was extremely small (3 vehicles only, and minimal support), and the vehicles were stock.

Afaik the next year (81) was German-only again, but this time using Range Rovers. Then in 82, the Papua New Guinea event became truly international with 4 countries represented (U.S.A, Germany, Holland, Italy), again using Rangies.
"You will be hollow. We shall squeeze you empty, and then we shall fill you with ourselves."
― George Orwell, 1984

Freedom Convoy Truckers -- Canadian Heroes!
Justin Trudeau --Enemy of the People!

binch

Yeah, from what I recall the first one was a small group of german adventurers out to challenge themselves.

Here's a good write up on the event...

[url][/http://www.cameltrophy.org.uk/history/1980.htmurl]
Cheers, Bill

Matt H

I was under the impression the very first Camel Trophy with the Jeeps had to be abandoned before any of the competitors finished?

Anyway, the Jeep replica is cool.

No Road Except For Land-Rover.