Can somebody please save me the trouble and...

Started by Already a Rover, June 23, 2015, 10:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Already a Rover

I'm going off a Parts List which says I have either a 25D4 or a 45D4 distributor.  Which would be in my '66 Series 2a?  I don't want to take it out just to look.

T'anks - gonna buy new solid-state points.

Jim

Red90

Probably the 25D.  Of course, it is one bolt and one minute to remove the distributor.

Matt H

You would be better off to physically check. Parts get swapped over the years.
No Road Except For Land-Rover.

Red90

Also a lot easier to do the work on the bench...and check that the centrifugal advance is not broken and bushings are tight and so on.

Already a Rover

Thanks, thanks and thanks.  I posted earlier, but don't see it on here.

I'm off fishing Friday, so won't be taking The Mosquito apart until then. 

Bye-the-way, I bought some sound-dampening panels - will report back on them too.

Jim

binch

Looking forward to hearing about them.... ;)
Cheers, Bill

Already a Rover

Already a Rover

Well, a new Pertonics unit is over 100 bucks!!  Not ready yet, too many other things to do, but ---

Putting the distributor back in I adjusted the advance by turning it with the engine running and now Growler idles much better and starts much, much better!

Points are still in good shape - anybody care to tell me what the clearance should be?

Thanks,

Jim

Rambler

Hi Jim,
From the Series 2 club website - service guide

Points gap: all 0.014 to 0.016" (0.375 to 0.400 mm) or a strip of a coke or beer can folded in half!

1957 Series One 88", petrol

SOLD:
'Luna' - Series 2 88", petrol with full tilt, ('61) [Restoration complete in 2020]
'Tardis' - Series 3 88", petrol hard top ('74) .. last seen sunning itself in the Carolinas

Already a Rover

Thanks a bunch.

I can't believe how much better it starts.

Starts even BETTER now that I found the starter lead was loose, sometimes it would really labour to get going, but still fired right away.

Jim

Rambler

You're very welcome . Glad to hear it's much improved.  Having not adjusted the points before can you offer any advice please on how this is done.  I read you need to loosen a screw but I'm not sure which and don't want to mess things up in my adjustment.  Thanks Ian

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
1957 Series One 88", petrol

SOLD:
'Luna' - Series 2 88", petrol with full tilt, ('61) [Restoration complete in 2020]
'Tardis' - Series 3 88", petrol hard top ('74) .. last seen sunning itself in the Carolinas

Already a Rover

Sorry, I'm no expert and plan to run Pertronix.  Working on Fuel Injection first, in case I need to get a different distributor.

Try U-Tube, might as well get with the times I guess.

Jim

Red90

If you look around, you guys can download the factory workshop manuals.  They are clear and easy to follow.  You can also still purchase them in paper format new.