where to purchase automotive paint in Calgary area?

Started by Green Hornet 88, September 01, 2015, 01:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Green Hornet 88

Hey folks, wanting to get some tins of automotive paint to start making the green hornet 88....GREEN!  any suggestions where to go in Calgary??  Cheers Craig

Red90

I assume the goal is to not make this pretty???  If so, automotive paint is not the best choice.  The solid colours have little scratch resistance as it is assumed that they are always covers with a clear polyurethane.  So unless you are doing a base and clear, it does not work well.

A solid polyurethane as used for industrial equipment is better if just doing a solid colour.  It is not as shiny, but more durable.  Any industrial paint store. You may have fun buying it these days as they are only supposed to sell to businesses that have paint booths.  The gobernment is protecting you from yourself.

ugly_90

I used international coatings Devguard, an industrial oilfield paint available at many places in Calgary, in any colour you like. I even have the paint numbers for the BATUS tan. Thinned out with mineral spirits, roller and brushed on like the army did.

If you want an automotive finish, the one i've used on cars in the past is Dupont's Nason. A second-line paint, it is supposedly the best of the cheap brands. Available at NAPA. There are some NAPA shops dedicated to just paint and body supplies. This would be a different job though, with spray booth, and compressor, more for a show truck than an offroader.

When it comes to automotive paint, there seems to be no end to price.

Green Hornet 88

Hey thanks guys...I thought I needed an automotive paint? I'm thinking of the bronze green I was going to do some searching of Land Rover paint numbers and see what I can find?  Of course I would like it to look pretty :0), but paint endurance, ease of application and price are more important at this point.  So as you can see I haven't a clue about paint..other than painting the bathroom! So is a 'polyurethane' paint something like tremclad ?  with regard to companies only selling to business's, I think I can get around this with using the company name where I'm staying.  So do you think a gal of paint would be enough to paint the 88? cheers Craig

Red90

Tremclad and Devguard are enamels.  They are okay, but I don't think will last if you drive it, especially in winter.  A good polyurethane is much better.  Do some research and learning.  You need to make sure you are using proper techniques and materials when priming onto the aluminum and to existing paint or it will all come off in a year or two.  Go and find some paint guys and spend time talking paint...  In general, modern paint is crap, compared to back when we were allowed to be near proper chemicals.

Already a Rover

Hi.
What part of town are you in.  Jannet`s Autobody in Bowness is always good for a social-call.  Talk to Paul if he is in, or the old guy in the back, whose name escapes me.

Jim