Radiator overflow bottle

Started by roverwanabe, May 17, 2016, 12:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roverwanabe

Anybody have one for a series.

ugly_90

Are you meaning a coolant reservoir? Not familiar with series, but your radiator has a reservoir "bottle", that it draws on, depending on temperature, like a regular car. If you're trying to capture regular overflows beyond this, you may have a problem.

You need the regular reservoir then?

roverwanabe

From Rovers North site

BOTTLE - COOLANT OVERFLOW SERIES IIA & III

Model #: RNC430
Shipping Schedule: Ready for immediate shipment
Cooling, Overflow Tank without cap.  Cap part RNC431.

binch

One thing about RN....their part numbers are completely unique to them and no one else.   The correct LR number is 564718 and appears to be only available new from LR at $60.    The caps are a bit easier to come by.   Malcalm ought to have a used one kicking around maybe.....
Cheers, Bill

Rambler

I bought a new one of these bottles last year.  Expensive for what is a plastic overflow bottle.
On my S3 I rigged up an MEC Nalgene bottle instead when the old one cracked.
This worked just as well and you could see the
fluid condition and coolant level a lot easier than with the
black plastic LR one.

I have a spare used cap for the original type of bottle that you are welcome to have if Malcalm cannot help out.   Sorry that the associated bottle was cracked / leaking  so wasn't kept as a spare.
1957 Series One 88", petrol

SOLD:
'Luna' - Series 2 88", petrol with full tilt, ('61) [Restoration complete in 2020]
'Tardis' - Series 3 88", petrol hard top ('74) .. last seen sunning itself in the Carolinas

roverwanabe

Yes I see what you mean.

I hate being ripped off for 80$ plus shipping as high as 75$ for a simple plaastic bottle.
I have to admit I was stupid, I unhooked mine and put it aside infront of the engine out of the way, then ... wait for it......I started the engine. , result -  a 1 inch cut.   

I have tried to repair it with PL 4000,   waiting to see how that works.

Have to go to pick-a-part for something for my honda, will look for an alternative there also.

Red90

IMO, I would get the correct one.  They are much better designed to not spill off road than a typical one.  I'm sure there are a ton of used ones around.  There are lots of guys with sheds full of series parts around.

Maybe it is time to join the club...

roverwanabe

It just had a 3/4 inch cut in it near the bottom.  I patched it and it might do, will test it  and see.
Will stil look at an alternative.  Since I don't do the off road thing, not concerned with it spilling.