Busy day at Mill

Started by binch, December 30, 2016, 10:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

binch

Well, it appears the wheel has gone askew on the treadle today.    The 110 needed some attention with a few items.

1.   Developing the death wobble in the steering wheel.
    - Great deal of play had developed in the threads of the ball joint end of the drag link, just enough that when you went over a sharp bump or unsuspecting heffalump the steering wheel would attempt to extricate itself from one's grip.    Small issue with the end of the drag link not being threaded deep enough to accommodate the accompanying ball joint.   A quick trip to Greg's and problem solved.  Flies straight and true now!

2.  Lighting issue with one headlight wanting to do a little less then it's share, especially when I turned on the marker lights.
    - Simple cleaning of the grounding screw of the FL marker light.  Now the way is clear!

3.  Claiming a bit more territory for the queen than maybe prudent, from the rear output seal of the transfer case.
    - Went to replace the output flange and seal when I noticed that X-Eng Ebrake had significantly more play in it then I would care for.    So a slight detour in servicing and the Ebrake was removed, re-greased and reinstalled and adjusted to hold all in check.    While the Ebrake was out the rear transfer case output flange and seal were both replaced.     Since I didn't have the gear oil for the T-case it will stay where it is and I'll top it off in the morning.

4.  Gaiter for the expansion joint on the rear propshaft was to say the least "a little beyond cracked".   I'll take a new one in with me in the morning and replace that too, paying VERY close attention to the phase or position of the two drive shaft ends.    Don't want to case more grieft for myself then do I  ;)

So.....what's everyone else been up to????
Cheers, Bill

Matt H

The 110 has a slow leak in the rear, right tyre. So I filled it with air and guess what? It leaked back out! Somebody should really fix that.

The 300tdi Disco cooked a ground wire attempting to start in the cold weather. Somebody should really fix that.

The Mighty Range Rover has camping equipment in it still from last August. Somebody should really empty that.

And the Series One I just sold needs recovering from the back yard so it can be towed away. Somebody should really move that before the new owner shows up.
No Road Except For Land-Rover.

Red90

My garage is too small to work on things comfortably in the winter :'( .  Really need to get into a smaller house and a bigger shop.  All the kids are finally gone and I need to downsize the house before they try and return.

Did a full overhaul on the front axle in the fall including installing the TrueTrac that I got from Mark who got it from Trevor.  Lightly used diff, only previously driven to church every other Sunday.  Should probably try it out off road some day.

camo388

Sadly, probably nothing on any of several LR projects.  Right now my biggest issue is no steering on the tractor that I use for most yard activities including clearing snow from the drive.  It is trying to snow again right now so getting back steering is at the top of today's list of things to do.  I took steering apart and all the ball bearings have come out of the screw and nut and laying in rusty grease above a layer of ice.  The steering box has a reservoir for oil but no oil.  If previous owner used grease instead of oil, it didn't work very well as shaft and nut are bone dry and caked with rusty dust.  Hopefully I can find all the balls and be back in the drivers seat.

ugly_90

I spent some of the holiday assembling my 110 project; bulkhead mostly. 

I'll have a rebuilt engine shortly on the way into my 90, a rebuilt gearbox going in with it, and shop space during the install as well, all thanks to the help of AB and BC club members.

Trevor

Quote from: Red90 on December 31, 2016, 11:03 AM

Lightly used diff, only previously driven to church every other Sunday.  Should probably try it out off road some day.

Yup, that sounds like mine! :)
"You will be hollow. We shall squeeze you empty, and then we shall fill you with ourselves."
― George Orwell, 1984

Freedom Convoy Truckers -- Canadian Heroes!
Justin Trudeau --Enemy of the People!

Gardenome

Mine is finally back together with plans to go in for an inspection next week. I'll get them to double check my brakes as well. (Can't be too careful as a first timer)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

binch

To Matt and John........

Rolling on the floor laughing myself silly....thanks!!!!
Cheers, Bill

binch

Quote from: Gardenome on December 31, 2016, 04:27 PM
Mine is finally back together with plans to go in for an inspection next week. I'll get them to double check my brakes as well. (Can't be too careful as a first timer)
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looking forward to it!!!!!! :D
Cheers, Bill