Weight Distribution

Started by Already a Rover, November 10, 2016, 01:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Already a Rover

Hi, I'm planning on sandbagging my SII for the winter.  I should think the idea weight distribution is 50-50.  Anyone know the stock weight distribution, or have tried different weights?

Jim

Matt H

Not sure but that 2.25 weighs in at around 450lbs. That's a lot of sand bags!
No Road Except For Land-Rover.

Red90

Drive to a scale and find out.

Red90

Looking at my records my Series 3 Lightweight was 910 kg front and 810 rear with no cargo.

Already a Rover

Can I just go to a highway scale?

Red90

Quote from: Already a Rover on November 11, 2016, 01:35 AM
Can I just go to a highway scale?

There are free ones around. West of the city by the Petro Can on the 1 and south on the 2.

Already a Rover

West of the city at the Petro Can - you mean at the turn off to Cochrane?

Already a Rover

I got this from Yorker on Guns and Rovers:

http://www.expeditionlandrover.info/springs.htm

It gives front and rear axle weights loaded and unloaded.  I was surprised my SIIa Wagon differs by only 175 lbs.  With me in it, maybe 200??  I think I'll go visit some scales.

RossM

Jim
Stock weight distribution for a Series 11 SWB is oft quoted as 55% front.

Red90

Quote from: Already a Rover on November 11, 2016, 11:32 AM
West of the city at the Petro Can - you mean at the turn off to Cochrane?

Yes, west of the parking lot.

https://goo.gl/maps/E69QD99NLH12

Already a Rover

Tks. 

I think I'll start by taking the spare off the hood and putting it in the back.

headdamage

Back when I did drive a SII 88 as my daily driver I just kept it in 4x4 in the winter and it drove great.

Already a Rover

FYI, I went and bought 5x20 kg sandbags (I went a bit over because of the spare on the front), then went to the scales to check.  I got 1830kg total; 860 front and 960 back.  Checked it twice, then went back and returned the sandbags.  The difference in weight from the chart provided above must be from the hardtop?  SWB wagon.

I found another gremlin in Growler.  Sometimes it would not idle when cold, always missed a little, and I thought it was something to do with the mixture or weak fuel pump.  The other day it was moist outside and I knew the coil wire cover on the dizzy was sitting a bit proud (couldn't slide it down - cheap wires, did it myself).  I pulled the plug and the metal clip stayed behind.  The conductor was burnt from arcing.  I did it again, and now he runs sooo smooth, better power and probably mpg. 

Last week I burned a tank of gas, and with warm-up times included, got 16+mpg city driving - not bad?!

headdamage

16 is about what it should get, my old 109 used to get 17hwy and a bit less around town.

Matt H

Around 17 mpg was what I got on my Series 3 swb around town without any roof.
No Road Except For Land-Rover.