Rebuilt / Re-Curved Distributor

Started by Already a Rover, October 28, 2016, 01:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Already a Rover

This came up as an aside on another thread and I thought I would report:

(I've got a broken-in, bored-out 2.25 with an ACR performance cam, 9-1 head and 2" exhaust.)

I put my new distributor in and am satisfied.  It starts much better, idles more smoothly 100rpm higher and after a couple of trips, I think it has 'better' power.  The power is subjective, I know, and the dizzy I had in there b4 was not 100% (the springs were a bit loose, and I did not know how to set the vacuum advance).  I installed it without a timing light, as Jeff recommended 16-18 degrees BTDC and I don't think my marks go past 6 degrees (!).  So, there may be more fiddling.

I cannot argue against saying these engines don't care 'much' about timing, as I have two dizzys, fiddled-about endlessly and have not seen a lot of change.  Instead of buying new I opted to send one away, hoping for some improvement over the stock curve on a modified engine - including a fractional increase in gas mileage, as Growler is my daily-driver for the winter months.  The rebuild/re-curve was about $US200 including shipping both ways.  You can get a Chinese equivalent for <$100, but I think a genuine Lucas one will be about $110.

Speaking of money, that's my 2 cents worth.

Already a Rover

I love it - no arguements, etc....  I am going to post something similar on Guns and Rovers to thank the guy who suggested the re-curve.  What-say there will be bickering??

Go Canada!

Already a Rover

Hi - well, no bickering; mild astonishment at having built something which will do 80+mph and get more than 20mpg (US).  Early-on I was really surprised how many otherwise sane people jumped all over the idea of making any improvements to a standard 2.25.  I expected to be rained on with prophecies of impending failure and reprimanded for exceeding safe driving limits.  As long as I don't drive it hard all the time I expect many happy years of driving - and fixing (other things).

Today it was the Weber carb - not much progress....