Winch Project

Started by jybella, October 20, 2016, 09:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Red90

Yah, so you could just switch to a normal distributor, wires and plugs, if you wanted.  Pretty cheap to buy a complete modern system with electronic ignition.

Large trucks are all 24 Volt, so the military specifies 24 Volt for all vehicles.  They need to share trailers and jump start each other.  Too much chance of someone blowing up a battery with two systems...

camo388

Quote from: Red90 on October 24, 2016, 01:14 PM
Yah, so you could just switch to a normal distributor, wires and plugs, if you wanted.  Pretty cheap to buy a complete modern system with electronic ignition.

Yes I could change and in fact have parts to do that but then ignition not original to the vehicle. 
Mind you when I fit the 2.5 NA, then originality is out the window and so of course is the need for expensive spark plugs. ;D

headdamage

As I recall the old 24v rover ignition is in fact 12v and it uses a transformer to step the voltage down from 24 to 12 before it gets to the coil and distributor. The fancy plugs are for radio noise suppression. I've seen the 24v distributor retro fitted with regular spark plug wires, coil, and plugs before.

jybella

A little more fab work.

I cut the Warn mounting plate on my chalk marks so I could work in the original bumper 1/2's. I had a damaged bumper that still had a good 1/2. I cut out the original bumper mounting tabs and they are being made up at the fab shop, I thought it would be easier to assemble all the parts loose so I could adjust each piece separately.

jybella

Next fitted the bumper 1/2 and checked the fit.  I am pretty happy with the result. Now fab up a couple of bumper 1/2's to match the originals. I like with how far the mounting plate only sticks past the original bumper.

camo388

Looks very neat and good to see you are making progress. 
Sorry it got a bit off topic. :-[

Bruce

binch

now it's time to galvanize!!!      ;D
Cheers, Bill

jybella

Picked up the bumper 1/2' today, they turned out great. Now to mock up and tack weld in place.

binch

Cheers, Bill

jybella

Tack welded the side bumpers to the centre today, now to finish welding and then paint.

I do need help in identifying a part number for the grill frame as I will need to modify the grill frame  the winch will be mounted tight to the frame support.

The grill frame has the opening it for the hood release lever.

Any information would be appreciated.

Thx

Red90

See here for part numbers: http://www.allbrit.de/UNI.cfm?PAGE=763187&SPRACHE=EN

If you need to know where to download a parts catalog, let us know.

jybella

Thx for the link,  for the life of me I can't find the Grille Panel with the slot for the hood release.

Jim

jybella

Red90

I suspect that version is long gone.  I think that was only on really early trucks and any specific parts to that era is no longer available.  I've never seen a parts catalog that covers the pre-86 stuff.

Why do you need another one?  Are you not just going to trim your own to fit?  You could always take the regular one and add the slot.  It is pretty easy to form items with the aluminum.  Cut a hole and make a die with wood and form the lip.  Or change to the latch that is under the grill or the cable release style.