Sorting out my new Defender.

Started by Matt H, October 12, 2016, 09:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt H

So it's been a couple weeks since I hauled home my new to me 1998 Defender 110 Station Wagon.
This unit was destined to be transformed into one of those $90K + vanity mirrors you see advertised until the owner decided he need to sell before it's transformation.

So I came along and "rescued" it. Now instead of living a pampered life of luxury it can expect one of hard work and, hopefully, adventure.

I believe that due to it's intended future as a pimp Wagon it has sat around for much of it's time in Canada and nobody has really got around to repairing anything properly. Perhaps thinking the minor issues could be sorted out when the eventual rebuild took place?

But now I own it so there will be no high $$$ rebuild. It doesn't need it. It will be my daily driver, wheeler, work truck etc. So these little issues are getting looked at one by one.

First thing fixed was the injector leak down pipes that caused hard starting.
Then cured the lack of heat by purging an air lock in the cooling system.
Repaired the reverse light.
Repaired the parking brake waning light switch.
Changed all fluids and filters.

Still need to figure out the wiper park switch problem, tidy up the messy wiring and plumbing, figure out why the Webasto will not fire up and a few other small jobs then I can get on with the upgrades!!

Already got it muddy and 'tested' it off road. Never driven a 300tdi 110 Defender off road before. Just 2.5na 90's and 110's and one V8 110 truck cab in the Army. Was pleasantly surprised by the useable torque of the engine and longer wheelbase than I'm used to with the Rangie.
No Road Except For Land-Rover.

binch

I'm looking forward to reading all about it's evolution Matt....Bring it on!!! ;D
Cheers, Bill

Matt H

Passed it's out of province inspection the other day. All legal in AB now.

Now on to the Webasto issue.

Red90

Quote from: Matt H on October 12, 2016, 09:44 PM
Never driven a 300tdi 110 Defender off road before.

I found some training videos for you.   ;D ;D  Should trigger some flashbacks.

Matt H

I think those videos were made a little after my time. The very affable sounding narrator talks about Power steering, Powerful engines and constantly presses the point of environmental damage. Are those Wolf Defenders? Interesting to see how things have changed since my day.

I joined up in late 1989 so my Army driver training was somewhat less refined and certainly didn't caution against things like suffering a "nasty thumb strain" if driving off road.

It mostly took the form of a Series 3 109" and a very big very angry man threatening to kick the $#!? out of me if I got stuck and made him miss his Naafi break! Ahhh, the good old days.

binch

hahahhahahahaha   Or taking Trevor's scotch ice LOL
Cheers, Bill

Trevor

Quote from: binch on October 25, 2016, 05:11 PM
hahahhahahahaha   Or taking Trevor's scotch ice LOL

Yes, very VERY bad thing to do!

;)
"You will be hollow. We shall squeeze you empty, and then we shall fill you with ourselves."
― George Orwell, 1984

Freedom Convoy Truckers -- Canadian Heroes!
Justin Trudeau --Enemy of the People!

Matt H

I "Repaired" the Webasto coolant heater today. Turned out to be just an lock in the fuel hose. Toasty mornings here I come  ;D