caliper piston size

Started by TJay, October 06, 2016, 10:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TJay

I am wondering if the pistons and seals are the same size front and rear for the brake calipers. If so then I could just get a repair kit for a front to repair both the rears. Just trying to save a buck or two for future repairs  ::)

Tom

binch

I'm not sure but based on the information in the Britpart catalogue on the stainless steel brake caliper and piston kits I would say they are different.

http://www.britpart.com/parts/repair-and-service-parts/repair-and-service-parts/braking/brake-caliper-pistons/discovery-1/
Cheers, Bill

TJay

You're right on Bill, upon further digging I ran across Dingocroft (a parts supplier in GB) and found that the pistons are the same diameter 41.3mm but the length is front 34.3mm and the rear is 28.2mm. So if a guy had a lathe I guess they could be cut to size.
The reason I asked is I have a rear caliper seized/ sticking and it's wearing the inner pad a lot faster than the outer.
Since I don't have a lathe rattling around in my back pocket I guess I'll have to go with the rear repair kit  :(
However it is good to know for the seal kits.

Red90

If you ever buy new calipers, get the Defender ones as they use 46 mm pistons  (I assume we are talking about a Disco 1).  25% more stopping power.  You need to do a little fiddle with the brake line, but it is nothing serious.

TJay

As it stands right now the front calipers are working good, so if it ain't broke don't fix it eh, but as soon as I get the other swivel ball I'm doing bearings/seals from the swivel balls out. I'm seriously swaying toward the Defender ones for spring as I pull a Trillium around for fishin' and camping and I find the current set up is not as good as it could be. Looks like it's rear brakes this weekend and bearings/ seals next week. Anything I should watch out for doing the front end?

Have a great day everyone,
Tom