LT230 Cross drilled input gear.

Started by Matt H, October 01, 2016, 10:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt H

Can anyone remember the year Land Rover started cross drilling the input gear in the transfer case at the factory?
No Road Except For Land-Rover.

binch

check with Ashcrofts....I'm sure they'll know  ;)
Cheers, Bill

Red90

I thought it happened around when the R380 was introduced with the 1994 model year but that it was not a clean introduction with a defined cutoff.

On the general topic, a few people seem to think the root of the problem with spline wear was not really due to lack of lubrication.  A spline like this should not really need lubrication.  The theory was that it was more due to misalignment of the two boxes, as the boxes are centered only with some dowels that are not very accurate.  If the shaft are properly concentric, there should be no movement in the splines and no wear.

Red90

See here for the TSB which lets you determine from the transfer case serial number.

http://www.goffy.com/rrr/transfer/41_06_95_en.pdf
QuoteFrom transfer box numbers 28D460996 F (Discovery) and 22D 461124 F (Defender) all factory built LT230 transfer boxes have a revised design of input gear, featuring lengthened splines and cross drilled oil feed holes.

Bargrip

From what I can remember, I believe non were cross drilled to suffix E , if you have the splash plate  fitted (to combat the wear issue) then you do not have the cross drilled gear. If the spines are not worn the splash plate would be a cheaper and easy alternative if you have neither.

Matt H

Thanks for the info. I had around 1996 in my head.
No Road Except For Land-Rover.