OOP inspection

Started by Gardenome, September 22, 2016, 09:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gardenome

I'm pretty much ready for my out of province inspection but I'm certain my steering will fail due to too much play. My steering box does flex a bit in its bracket but that is a known issue that was addressed in the series 2.

I've replaced almost all the tie rod ends but I was not sure how tight to secure them. Should I tighten them until they start to spin in their sockets or just till they're snug? They have castle nuts and locking pins.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

binch

How about 25ft/lbs.....

I found this bit in in the series 11 club site:

http://www.series2club.co.uk/pages/technical/servicing.html
Cheers, Bill

ugly_90

If I were to ask Malcom, he'd direct me immediately to standard torque,  which are in many of the Haynes manuals and many sources online.

Your bolt head would need to be 7/16" or larger to likely withstand the 25ft/lb. It sounds reasonable. Beware of torquing studs in alloy though,  as they can withstand nothing like this.

Red90

Tie rod ends should be nice and tight. If it is spinning, it has not set itself in the taper and that it a bad thing.

Matt H

Quote from: Red90 on September 23, 2016, 12:21 PM
Tie rod ends should be nice and tight. If it is spinning, it has not set itself in the taper and that it a bad thing.

X2. It must be seated fully before attempting to apply final torque.

Have you done anything to the steering relay? They also must be setup correctly or you will get horrible steering.
No Road Except For Land-Rover.

Gardenome

Rebuilt the steering relay. Steering is not overly stiff it just takes a bit to engage the wheels.

Red90

You need to watch it to see what is loose while moving the steering wheel. With everything right there should be very little play.  Have you adjusted the steering box?

Gardenome

Well, I found the play. Series one forum recommends a rebuild at around $650. Going to see if Malcolm has a suitable replacement while I save up. Any other ideas welcome. Steering column sources would be ok too.

Matt H

So the problem is in the steering box then?
No Road Except For Land-Rover.

Red90

Gardenome

There is no adjustment that I'm aware of.

Gardenome

The column and the box are held together with 4 rivets. They are not as snug as they should be. The column shifts in and out of the box very slightly as I move the wheel back and forth. Not traditional rivets.

Red90

Quote from: Gardenome on September 27, 2016, 09:57 PM
There is no adjustment that I'm aware of.

There is an adjusting screw on the steering box that is meant to be adjusted to remove free play.

Red90

Quote from: Gardenome on September 27, 2016, 10:00 PM
The column and the box are held together with 4 rivets. They are not as snug as they should be. The column shifts in and out of the box very slightly as I move the wheel back and forth. Not traditional rivets.

That sounds strange.   The column shroud should just be bolted to the steering box with four bolts.

Gardenome

Added a video for clarity.