Moab Spring 2017

Started by Trevor, May 16, 2017, 06:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trevor

Bill, as requested, a few tidbits from my spring trip to Moab.

I don't have much by the way of pictures or videos this year. I find the more I go there, the less I take. I will see if I can gather up something though from other peoiples collections.

3 vehicles ran the White Rim trail this year, which is a 2 day trail with a camp overnight. First time I've done this trail, it was quite enjoyable. We were fortunate to have one of the few campsites that actually had tree's for cover (Potato Bottom campsite) which was quite welcome after about 10 hours on the trail. Really fun trail, and always great to gather around a campfire (albeit propane, but still, better than nothing) and have a drink or 12 and talk-story.

My rig ran very well. I made 2 major changes to it this year, both of which worked very well. The new 5 - 1 transfer case gearing was amazing, and a long overdue mod. Really added to the low speed control of the vehicle on the more difficult obstacles. I also added spacers to go along with the offset rims. This increased the overall footprint of the Disco to 78", helping to stabalise it a lot. It still gets the tires in the air a lot, which is fine. But it isn't asfrequent, or dramatic when on some of the steep off camber stuff.

Eric and his crew from D&C Extreme in Colorado Spring joined us this year (he does pretty much every year). They had just completed a VERY nice Scout for a customer. You can see some videos of it on Pritchett Canyon on their Facebook page here https://www.facebook.com/D-and-C-Extreme-Industries-265139353608028/

The thing is a real beast...6.0 Vortec engine, Atlas 3.0 Tcase, Dana 60 front and a shaved 14 bolt rear, running super sticky 40" Maxxis Trepador's. Quite a bit more truck than I would want as it does take a lot of the challenge out of wheeling. But it is an impressive build nonetheless.

"You will be hollow. We shall squeeze you empty, and then we shall fill you with ourselves."
― George Orwell, 1984

Freedom Convoy Truckers -- Canadian Heroes!
Justin Trudeau --Enemy of the People!

binch

Sounds like another great trip Trevor!    I look forward to seeing some pics of this trip.    You must have had a lot of trouble with the center of gravity changing on the vehicle, after a night scotch displacement/replacement  ;D
Cheers, Bill

Trevor

The whiskey rebalancing each evening was an important part of maintaining equilibrium, yes!

The wider footprint did take some getting used to. There's quite a few obstacles where I know the line I need to take, have driven it a hundred times, and know exactly where I want to put my tires to make things go smoothly as possible...'cept my tires weren't where they used to be. :)
"You will be hollow. We shall squeeze you empty, and then we shall fill you with ourselves."
― George Orwell, 1984

Matt H

Sounds like another great trip Trevor. I MUST get back there someday.

I agree with your sentiments about the purpose built high dollar wheelers. While very impressive and super capable they are now nearly all the same with the same laundry list of proven parts. The body, or sometimes just the grill, are the only real difference or indication of the orginal vehicle.

The challenge of getting a comparatively stock unit over the same terrain has it's own satisfaction.   
No Road Except For Land-Rover.

Trevor

Quote from: Matt H on May 17, 2017, 07:35 PM

I'll likely put together another trip for fall 2018, for any that are interested
― George Orwell, 1984

binch

Quote from: Trevor on May 18, 2017, 03:19 PM
Quote from: Matt H on May 17, 2017, 07:35 PM

I'll likely put together another trip for fall 2018, for any that are interested

Right after the AMT trip?
Cheers, Bill

Trevor

Late Sept/early Oct if I put one together. I figured AMT would be around the same time we ran it last time....late July/early Aug? AMT is the priority for me though.
― George Orwell, 1984