sand tires

Started by ugly_90, August 23, 2015, 04:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ugly_90

It seems someone in Edmonton has at least five new Chinese sand tires for sale, and they should be going cheap. He may have supply of many.

at 7.50 x 16, this is a good chance to get some tall skinny tires. Unsure if they are DOT rated for road use. They would need a rating as such to be street legal.

I found a seacan full of these in Saskatchewan, and they were the foreign branded genuine Dunlop SP Sand Grip, and without DOT.

The sandtire is much like the Michelin XCL. Dangerous on ice and snow.

No idea what he's asking, but I think it would need to be under $100/tire to make it worthwhile.

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-other/edmonton/7-50r16-skinny-tall-great-tires-for-your-old-jeep-restoration/1083148179?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

ugly_90

I spoke to him, his Westlake tires have DOT certification. He's selling them for $189/ea.

I'm awaiting confirm of DOT number on the Dunlops. I may pick them up from Saskatchewan for $55/ea.

B-Red

These will be tubed, right? Are they 235/85 R16?
How would such sand tires perform in mud and over rocks?

ugly_90

The tires themselves are tubeless, and can take a tube. The rims I have would be tube type. Hence, tubed.

They are not metric sized tires, they are inch tire size " 7.50 x 16 " which are slightly narrower and taller than the 235 85 R16. And are the original military size for the 90/110.

The sand tire pattern would be adequate in mud, but probably not improve much by being aired down. As with the Michelin XCL, it wouldn't be a top mud tire.

It would likely be superior to many tires on rock, due to the large flat block pattern being resistant to damage, much like a heavy equipment tire does. This is the claim of the manufacturer. This tire would likely decay quickly on pavement, like a large block mud tire does.

Again, it would be deadly for the user on ice and snow, but most of the Iltis's had the 16" XCL, and did make it through emergency ice storms and through the balkans in winter.

It could prove to be a great sanddune tire, and we do have thousands of acres of government sand here near GP. This is a tire designed for the middle east, africa, and central asian markets.

ugly_90

The Dunlop tires have US DOT certification as well, and are EUWY 7N9V1312.

The code shows they are produced for Toyota in Japan, which would be true.

Rambler

Thanks very much for the helpful information.  Living in Regina, Sk I am tempted by the great price, but with long winters here I'm not sure these are what I'm looking for in terms of new tyres for my 1961 Series 2.  Can I ask where you found such a great deal please?  The other 7.50 R16 tyres I've been looking at were in the region of about $300 each.  Most places laugh at me when I ask for this size of tyre...

1957 Series One 88", petrol

SOLD:
'Luna' - Series 2 88", petrol with full tilt, ('61) [Restoration complete in 2020]
'Tardis' - Series 3 88", petrol hard top ('74) .. last seen sunning itself in the Carolinas