LR3 glass roof repaired.... I hope

Started by Chris, June 14, 2023, 06:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris

I moved this over to the technical board so if anyone is searching for info on this in the future, this would be the place to look.
some back story. the LR3 has a large glass panel roof that is laminated, similar to a windshield. A failed attempt at mounting an 8ft by 4ft roof rack by myself( I know, I know) resulted in 3 large cracks at the edge of the glass. So im going to go over what I did as well as some photos. First I reached out to some glass places with quotes ranging from 3500 to 5000 dollars. Insurance does cover glass, however at a potential 5000 bucks and a nearly 400,000 km LR3, there was a possibility of them writing the vehicle off. so plan B, fix it myself in hopes no cracks or leaking would occur. first thing I tried was to stabilize the glass with a glass sealer, this was a bad idea as it did not harden and was still a little gooey when dried, after peeling that off I used RTV silicon and applied it under the glass to lift the glass up into place( see photos 1 and 2 and you can see that the glass has drooped down from the damage) after 48hrs I was comfortable with it, so I went and bought some glass resin ($23 per little bottle) well I didn't know the glass resin comes out nearly like water, so it went on and came right off and all down the water channel, so I went and bought a few more resin bottles. I then made a barrier around the broken sections with the RTV silicon which worked great, The Resin filled up all the cracks and damage. I simply peeled the barriers off after the resin dried for 24hrs. be sure to read the instructions from whatever resin you get, you only have a small window to be able to scrape off any excess resin from which its hard enough you wont ruin what you are trying to achieve yet its soft enough to scrape off  after its fully cured. Now that its all done and I'm confident with it, I dropped it off at twin Z paint correction and detailing, they used a protective film over top the glass to further protect it. Just incase my Resin skills are subpar haha. Might get them to detail the inside one day, camping vehicles do get groggy.

Photos 1 and 2 are the larger damaged sections, photos 3 and 4 are after the resin was done. Hopefully you don't ever have to experience this, and if you do mount anything on your LR3 or 4, throw a nice large blanket over the glass while you are doing the job lol.

any questions, feel free to ask, Ill do the best I can to answer them.

binch

Good job of recovery from a bad situation Chris  ;)
Cheers, Bill