White Elephant Series III project.

Started by Matt H, March 29, 2015, 04:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt H

I decided to start a new thread in the 'Technical' section to detail the refurbishment of the White Elephant.

So I got started on a new project today. Always a happy occasion. My Series III 88" Station Wagon nicknamed "The White Elephant".

It's destined to pull a parade float in the 2015 Medicine Hat Stampede Parde and as such needs to look part. Problem is it's been in a field for 20 years.

Pushed it into my (very messy) shop and took stock of what needs to be done and in what order.
The answer being a lot and whatever order is quickest!

No Road Except For Land-Rover.

Matt H

First thing is to clear out all the junk inside and then onto the fuel tank as the original leaks badly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Matt H

This will make a nice change. The last LR to occupy this space was our LR3 to have the rear suspension  bushings changed. A real PITA job. Took forever and very tight clearances.

No worries in the clearance department with a Series III.

Rambler

Looking great.  Good luck with the project and take care with the wiring, as I learned today!
1957 Series One 88", petrol

SOLD:
'Luna' - Series 2 88", petrol with full tilt, ('61) [Restoration complete in 2020]
'Tardis' - Series 3 88", petrol hard top ('74) .. last seen sunning itself in the Carolinas

binch

what happened to your wing today???? ???
Cheers, Bill

Rambler

Sadly, when I refitted the battery today (hoping to get my series on the road again after the winter layup), I was faced with crackles and smoke from some bad wiring to the alternator.  I'm tracing the source of the short, and plan to fit some in line fuses to new cables that need to be run.  Not sure if it's the alternator that's at fault, - I hadn't turned the ignition key when this happened.

SOLD:
'Luna' - Series 2 88", petrol with full tilt, ('61) [Restoration complete in 2020]
'Tardis' - Series 3 88", petrol hard top ('74) .. last seen sunning itself in the Carolinas

Matt H

Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned.......or a Land Rover parked up for a week or two.

If you feel like replacing the entire loom Autosparks out of the UK make a really nice kit.

Rambler

Thanks Matt, so that's why she's mad at me.  Was out at PA buying wiring and bits today and have an order into one of the UK autoplaces for the relevant connectors (altenator).  I have an Autosparks loom for my S2 rebuild, that has fallen a bit behind schedule.  Hopefully, all will be well in a week or two when I have all the parts to fix her.

SOLD:

Matt H

Made a small start today. Cleaned out all the crap that was stored inside and removed the rear door. Dash is looking a little worse for wear so I will try to re-skin that myself.

Matt H

Been avoiding the messy job of fuel tank replacement. So instead I gave the ign system a going over today. All seems to be in ordered other than the plugs are a little sooty. Cleaned everything up and reset the gaps.

Also changed engine oil and filter.

So far so good.

binch

It's a step in the right direction ;)
Cheers, Bill

Matt H

Good progress today.

I removed the hard top.

Gave the cooling system a good going over, removed a home brew aux heater and put in new coolant. 

Replaced the leaky fuel tank with a spare unit I had. Jason (my 9 year old son) helped clean the replacement unit out and install it. Unfortunately the replacement tank also leaked badly so that will need to come out again and sealed or replaced with a new tank.

But the big news is I had it running for the first time in 20 years. I was pleased to hear a steady idle and quiet operation and very little exhaust fumes. Ran it up to operating temp and it revs like a champ with good oil pressure and throttle response.

Jason and I were well chuffed.

Matt H

Some more pics of today's progress.

binch

Sweet....after 20 years......better then a timex watch! ;)
Cheers, Bill

Matt H

Bled the brake master cylinder today and got a reasonably good pedal feel so onto the wheel cylinders next.

Clutch master cylinder may be shot though so I will need to mess with that some more or replace it before I can change gears.

Things are coming along.