brake adjuster ???

Started by stretch1940, May 29, 2018, 06:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stretch1940

The brake adjusters on my 1969 88" where worn so I got a new kit  (rtc3176). The new cam is made of a thicker gauge than the old one and doesn't go into the groove of the pin on the brake shoe. Wrong kit, wrong shoe or wrong mechanic?
Why 8 cams?

Red90

An 88 should have the 10" shoes with the single adjuster per brake.  The kit should have 4 adjuster to cover all four brakes.  The adjusters push on the body of the pin.  The groove in the pin is for the spring.

http://www.paddockspares.com/downloads/Fitting_Instructions_for_RTC3176.pdf

stretch1940

Red90

See the picture here from the workshop manual.  The "Y-Y" section shows how the cam rides on the pin, with the spring in the groove behind it.

88Hillman

It's been many years now since I had stock brakes in the 88", but I recall that it's easy to install the parts backwards.  By that I mean springs on the wrong side (inboard/outboard) as well as brake shoes reversed (studs inboard/outboard).  There should not be a conflict between the tension spring and the cam and as Red90 pointed out, the notch in the shoe's post is actually for the spring and not for the cam.

Cheers,
Kirk