New Defenders to be built but not from where you'd expect.

Started by RossM, October 26, 2016, 06:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt H

I think what they might be doing is chasing the Toyota Tacoma/4 Runner end of the market rather than the pure utility or the swap in a set of Dana 60's hardcore 4wd market. Not that many folks do that to Land Rovers anyway.
Looking at how many new SUV's & Trucks Toyota sell in this "adventure" space I can see why.
No Road Except For Land-Rover.

Red90

Yep.  Pretty much what we knew was coming.  It will probably help them recover some lost sales as everything else is so horribly bland.  But they won't get rich.  It is just too expensive to be a high volume sell.  It will be interesting to see if the average Joe even notices that the Defender was released.

Oh well.  Maybe Ineos will come out with something intelligent and affordable.  Or better yet, Suzuki will come back to Canada.  They are already building what is much more a modern evolution of a Land Rover.

headdamage

I've watched some youtube reviews where the presenter is singing the praises of what a wonderful vehicle it is and how it maintains it's roots with the historic Defender with oblivious styling clues from the older trucks. I'm also fairly sure the videos where shot in the same location with the same trucks likely on the same day.

lropchan

The New Defender - a necessary evolution?

Get comfortable, the video is over 2 hours long.

Rambler

1957 Series One 88", petrol

SOLD:
'Luna' - Series 2 88", petrol with full tilt, ('61) [Restoration complete in 2020]
'Tardis' - Series 3 88", petrol hard top ('74) .. last seen sunning itself in the Carolinas

Rambler

1957 Series One 88", petrol

SOLD:
'Luna' - Series 2 88", petrol with full tilt, ('61) [Restoration complete in 2020]
'Tardis' - Series 3 88", petrol hard top ('74) .. last seen sunning itself in the Carolinas

binch

"Ready for anything..."   Prove it!!!    Let's see them put their money where their mouth was and run a camel trophy with these cars...then we'll talk. 8)
Cheers, Bill

Red90

It will be alright.  It should do better off road than the Discos with the larger tires and supposedly longer travel suspension.  It will be a lot lighter than the LR3/4.

But an "old" Defender with a rear locker will still do better on stock sized tires.  Wheel travel and real world ground clearance is just much better with live axles and body on frame. And then the much larger sidewalls.

One of the big downsides is cargo room.  The 110 cargo room is about half of the old Defender.

Matt H

Shall I start?

What size lift do I need to fit 33" tyres on my New Defender?

You saw it here first folks.....Possibly the worlds most often asked and at the same time most ambiguous question posed for the first time for the New Defender!!!!

Matt H

I don't really see a situation for the average owner of an old Defender where they couldn't do the same things with the new one that they were able to do in the old? Except maybe afford the payments lol.
Not burst anyone's bubble, but the stuff most of us do in our Defenders (including me) isn't particularly difficult or only possible in a Land Rover Defender.

It will fall short of the requirements at the extreme ends of the old units niche but not many folk really want to take a brand new and expensive 90 and build a winch challenge or trophy truck.....although that would be cool!

Or throw a dead sheep in back....not so cool. 

But yeah. A Camel Trophy like event to showcase it's performance in conditions likely to far exceed anything most owners would ever tackle would go a long way to proving it's worthiness of the Defender badge.

Let's wait and see. 

binch

Quote from: Matt H on September 12, 2019, 03:12 PM
But yeah. A Camel Trophy like event to showcase it's performance in conditions likely to far exceed anything most owners would ever tackle would go a long way to proving it's worthiness of the Defender badge.

Yup....put their money where their mouth is and make a convert out of me.   And I'm not talking the wienie G4 stuff...that can be done in an old VW beetle!   One proper Camel Trophy.....Or at least lend our club 6 or 8 - 110's and let us take them over the AMT.   That would be pretty fare challenge for me.   

And then provide a price list for the body panels which will likely be needing replacing too.
Cheers, Bill

headdamage

Dam that's an idea, easily replaceable body panels. I wonder if they did that?

Matt H

Hope so. The bumper and front fender look to be one piece!

Trevor

Quote from: Matt H on September 12, 2019, 03:12 PM

Not burst anyone's bubble, but the stuff most of us do in our Defenders (including me) isn't particularly difficult or only possible in a Land Rover Defender.

That's an important point that is oft-forgotten in these discussion.

When the early Defender were made (and their Series predecessors) there was but a handful of vehicles in that space, and few still that were truly capable.

Today that is still true and there exist a fairly short list of vehicles comparable to the original Defender with those hardcore and also versatile capabilities....but most importantly the current Defender certainly isn't one of them.

Insofar as capability goes it no longer exists in the category it helped create. Instead, it now sits with a MUCH larger group of SUV's that are equally capable. Every major vehicle manufacturer makes a vehicle that can go everywhere a Defender can go,  do everything it can do. The differing factor in this category is not capability. Rather it is simply how much bling and comfort you want to wrap around yourself.
"You will be hollow. We shall squeeze you empty, and then we shall fill you with ourselves."
― George Orwell, 1984

Freedom Convoy Truckers -- Canadian Heroes!
Justin Trudeau --Enemy of the People!

alany

I started pricing a 110 for fun and stopped when I hit $82k with a full section still left to go.

As for playing in the same space as the 4runner, not sure about that. They're not even in the same ball park for pricing.

One final thing, this thing has 85 ecu's. Let that that stat sink in for a bit....