Next generation of "cheap" LR off roaders.

Started by Matt H, April 22, 2016, 08:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt H

Read that Emad and Co had discussed this at the malt shop meeting recently and thought it was interesting and decided to add my 2c as a modified LR3 owner.

The LR3/4 platform (this includes the RRS to a lesser extent) is really the only modern Land Rover for sale in North America that has any serious factory or aftermarket support for off road improvement.

In my opinion the major drawback of these units off road is the massive weight. They are the best part of 6,000lbs in stock form. Another problem is the way the vehicle is designed makes serious modifications to the suspension difficult limiting tire size and articulation.

Big advantage is reliability, power and comfort. Yes I know hard core Roverities will poo poo the idea of comfort but there is something to be said for a vehicle that is not a rolling torture chamber if you have long journey ahead. The terrain response works well once you understand that the only setting you need is the "sand" position. Traction control and hill decent also work well.

Size and maneuverability also come into play. Like the Dr Who Tardis they are huge inside but relatively small outside. Despite a 113" wheelbase an LR3/4 would also put any Defender 90/110 to shame when it comes to maneuverability.

So my conclusion. Great for mild-semi serious wheeling and almost perfect for over landing but too heavy and difficult to modify to take on any hardcore trails.
No Road Except For Land-Rover.

B-Red

I agree Matt. The Moab trip showed how comfortable these new ones for their owners on the trails. Over landing and semi offroading trips would be great.
As our trail grids are getting shrunk and closed, maybe the serious off roading trips are coming to an end.
Having said that, I recall the movies of the old west when wagens got replaced by trucks and gasoline engines and horses became useless.

Next picture shoot of the Landrover gathering will be shot in black and white :-(

Trevor

The LR-3/RRS can be a decent choice for wheeling, just depends on where you plan to use them. As you noted Matt, their weight combined with limited mud tire selections is a hindrance if you spend a lot of time in the slop. But if you spend time in rocky, dry terrain, they are quite competent. Kit that is easily obtainable for these units are rock sliders, winch mount and front skid (RRS), snorkel, 2" lift...and I think you can find replacement front bumpers for the LR-3's pretty easily. If you don't mind doing a bit of fender cutting you can also easily get some 18" mud tires on them, otherwise you're limited to 18" AT's. That's largely it though, but then again that's not too bad for most folks looking for some mid-level wheeling.

I'd be inclined to look to South Africa though for kit and ideas if I was serious about an overlanding or wheeling LR-3 option. For quite a while you could get coil-sprung LR-3 direct from Land Rover there, along with all the modifications (winch, bumpers, snorkel, roof rack). Australia has a lot of after market stuff too.

Overall they're good rigs. Like anything, they have their pro's and cons. I think the really important decision is where you want to run them. The weight is a consideration as is the difficulty to work on them in the field. But if you really wanted something cool based on the LR-3 or 4 platform, just get a Supacat :)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Supacat's_LRV_400_Mk2_is_based_on_the_Discovery_4.JPG
"You will be hollow. We shall squeeze you empty, and then we shall fill you with ourselves."
― George Orwell, 1984

Freedom Convoy Truckers -- Canadian Heroes!
Justin Trudeau --Enemy of the People!

Matt H

Yes, I did watch them perform well on the Moab slickrock during our visit in 2014.

Here is a picture of our 2006 LR3 HSE with over 315,000km on the clock.
It has aftermarket 18" wheels with Toyo AT2 tyres. +2" OME/AB Coil spring conversion. Pollybush bushings, ARB bumper with a 9,000lb warn winch, rock sliders and a factory accessory roof rack.

It gets way more highway K's than trail K's but it does stretch its legs now and again.

Trevor

"You will be hollow. We shall squeeze you empty, and then we shall fill you with ourselves."
― George Orwell, 1984

Freedom Convoy Truckers -- Canadian Heroes!
Justin Trudeau --Enemy of the People!

Matt H

Thank you. It's my wife's daily driver and she loves it.