Converting 10 spline to 24 disco 1 to disco 1

Started by brendan leier, April 18, 2018, 06:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brendan leier

My truck came out of Japan, unloved for a decade, but only 14k on it. The blessing was the vile bitumen undercoating which still protects the underside. It must be an early 92 as it still uses all the RRC gear including brakes and axles.  I'm reluctant to change any brake stuff as a result. I have a feeling that changes to the disco were made to make them cheaper to make rather than better. 

Matt H

No Road Except For Land-Rover.

brendan leier

It is. It even has a different windscreen than the later disco 1. I love the 200tdi though, not crazy about the gearbox.

Red90

What are you using for oil in the gearbox?  I've had a few LT77s and they should shift as nice as any other car.

Really. Yours is a true series 1 Disco. The one that came out in 94 should have been called a series 2.   The original Disco was truly a RRC with a slightly different body.

brendan leier

I figured it was different when I noticed the calipers had more nipples that a mother cat.  I use synth ATF fluid in my gearbox.  It has started grinding a little coming down from 3 to 2 at higher revs.  Still only 45k on the truck. Master and slave are new, but I haven't had time to diagnose much more.  I'm working up nerve to 'camel' trim my fender in anticipation of new rubber. 

Red90

Try an MTF like Redline MTL. A synthetic ATF will be a bit thin and not have the best friction characteristics.

It should help on those downshifts if you don't rev match.

Also make sure the bias spring is properly adjusted.

brendan leier

I will do... Rev matching helps nothing, and temp makes little difference, so I will further pursue the issue.  Thanks!