Camp Cots/Beds?

Started by Matt H, April 13, 2015, 08:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt H

Opinions needed on decent camping cots/beds. I hate sleeping on floor and dislike air mattresses.

Most camp cots I've tried are too stiff or too small......or both. To date the best cots for me were the old British Army kind but they were not what you might describe as stabile. Try to turn in your sleep and you were unceremoniously ejected onto the floor.

As I grow older I find that a decent bed has become somewhat of priority when camping.

Anyway, if we have never met I stand 6'2" tall and weigh around 230lbs, all muscle, obviously. The higher off the ground the better.

Cheers
Matt.
No Road Except For Land-Rover.

Alex C

D90 200Tdi     67 S2a 88"

Trevor

I've got a XL cot from Cabela's. Its very large, very stable. I never find myself needing more room...

http://www.cabelas.ca/product/62013/cabelas-outfitter-xl-cot-w-pivot-arm

The sleeping pad I have is also from Cabela's, but I can't find it on their website. Its a great sleeping pad, very comfortable. But its also large and bulky too. Its not an air filled so it takes up a lot of space and isn't very practicle if you need to be at all space conscious.
"You will be hollow. We shall squeeze you empty, and then we shall fill you with ourselves."
― George Orwell, 1984

Freedom Convoy Truckers -- Canadian Heroes!
Justin Trudeau --Enemy of the People!

B-Red

I have the Cabelas vote and it works great. An air mat makes it more comfortable.

Lloyd and I are looking at this self contained tent/cot:

http://www.amazon.ca/Kamp-Rite-DTC443-Oversize-Tent-Cot/dp/B000I641UQ

It sets up in five minutes. No need for tent. It has a high roof, which the Cabelas version does not.

Packs well too.

binch

Hey Matt,

I've been using a 28" job I got from Princess for the past 3 years and it was okay.   I Like the thermorest air pad but don't trust them to keep the air in them, especially around our cat that loves to bite them.   So I use two thinsulate camping pads (1/2" and 3/8") for padding.    I like the thinsulates as they will take untold amounts of abuse and still keep doing their job, and I can throw it on my camp chair or ground to fend off the cold when need be.   OR....I can throw it on the ground if I have to crawl under my truck in the wet ;-)   And they are a fraction of the price of an thermorest!!!

But I've found the 28" wide cot was not quite wide enough for my liking so Craig is bringing a 36" cot from Cabela's in the states up for me (it was 50% off at the time) and I'm going to give it a try.   

I've seen the set up that Trevor uses and it's definitely the five star model that no respectable English safari would be without!!   It's like a single bed and the pad for it (big as it is) is pure luxury!!!   Mix that with a woods 5 star and a six man dome tent and the only thing you'll be missing is the maid to put the chocolate on your pillow when she turns down you blankets ;-)

That's my 2 cents worth of wishful thinking ;)
Cheers, Bill

binch

Quote from: Trevor on April 13, 2015, 09:19 PM
I've got a XL cot from Cabela's. Its very large, very stable. I never find myself needing more room...

http://www.cabelas.ca/product/62013/cabelas-outfitter-xl-cot-w-pivot-arm

The sleeping pad I have is also from Cabela's, but I can't find it on their website. Its a great sleeping pad, very comfortable. But its also large and bulky too. Its not an air filled so it takes up a lot of space and isn't very practicle if you need to be at all space conscious.

Is this the one you have Trevor?     You gots to look at the real cabelas....in the states!

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Camping/Camp-Bedding/Sleeping-Pads%7C/pc/104795280/c/104712480/sc/104484780/Cabelas-Deluxe-Cot-Pad/714117.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse.cmd%3FN%3D1100678
Cheers, Bill

Trevor

Yessir, I think that's the one Bill!
"You will be hollow. We shall squeeze you empty, and then we shall fill you with ourselves."
― George Orwell, 1984

Freedom Convoy Truckers -- Canadian Heroes!
Justin Trudeau --Enemy of the People!

Matt H

Thanks for the suggestions lads. I like the look Cabelas unit. Now that we decided to tent camp for this years Cypress Hills May Long Weekend finding a decent cot has become even more important.
No Road Except For Land-Rover.

binch

The big (unexpected) bonus of the cot is the storage space gained under the cot for all your gear!   Leaves a nice clear floor around rest of the tent ;-)

As long as the tent holds up under a foot of heavy snow you ...   ;)
Cheers, Bill

binch

check out the weight on that thing....it's just as heavy as MY new one is  ;D   

The new one is nice and wide to allow for my vast expanse but the weight of my new cott is double that of my old cott.   Still....it's sooo much more comfortable  8)
Cheers, Bill