Bonfire Night.

Started by Matt H, November 01, 2016, 06:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt H

Short notice I know but if anyone is in the area or at a loose end this weekend this Saturday the Medicine Hat area lads will be having a bimble around the Cypress Hills area checking out some of the short trails and hunting tracks in the area. Nothing serious but nice scenery in the fall colours.

This will be followed later by a bonfire at my place.

Anyone interested in attending can either meet us at the Dunmore co-op gas Stn at 11:00 Saturday morning or give me a shout for further details. 

"Remember, Remember the 5th of November. Gunpowder, Treason and Plot"
No Road Except For Land-Rover.

B-Red

I wonder if the folks in Edmonton are having one at the Scottish Society place. Saturday night would be a good fit. Bill, do you know anything about this?

binch

Quote from: B-Red on November 01, 2016, 07:53 PM
I wonder if the folks in Edmonton are having one at the Scottish Society place. Saturday night would be a good fit. Bill, do you know anything about this?

Yup, here's the info.....

"The Alberta St George of England Society will be doing their Annual Guy Fawkes Night which will be held at The Edmonton Scottish Facility on Saturday, November 5th. Gates at 6:00 pm, Bonfire 6:30 pm. Fire-works 7:00 pm. Admission is $10 per vehicle with two people and $15 for vehicles with more than two."

But I have to warn you....Their fire size is VERY restricted by safety regulations and it's pretty darn small (6' x 6') ::)!   In Fact...I've seen Yoda make a bigger fire!!!! on some of our trips ;)
Cheers, Bill

Matt H

Folks in China have seen one of Yoda's fires!  ;D

Trevor

Bah, little girly fires

When I go out camping with the old high school crew, it's not uncommon to have the woodpile in the fire taller than me. Just ask NASA, they've seen em  ;D

"You will be hollow. We shall squeeze you empty, and then we shall fill you with ourselves."
― George Orwell, 1984

Freedom Convoy Truckers -- Canadian Heroes!
Justin Trudeau --Enemy of the People!

binch

Bloody Luxury!!!!    When we have fire it were so big it peeled paint from window frame....on house in next county!!!! ;D
Cheers, Bill

northerndefender

I remember one campground night with the club when the staff guy came round on the gator to sell small bundles of wood.  He took one look at the size of our fire and the massive pile of wood we had collected with Bills chainsaw earlier in the day and promptly fled.   :o 8) ::)

binch

Cheers, Bill

binch

Pictures man, Pictures!!!!! ;D
Cheers, Bill

Matt H

Great day out. I took my 110 for its off road outing. Interesting getting to grips with my new, stock Land Rover after wheeling my modified Range Rover for so long. Paul was in his D2. Yoda was driving the 101.
Lots of standing water due to the snow storm a couple of weeks ago but it was mostly tame sight seeing.

The picture of the 101 going through the water is much deeper than it looks. I had tried it in the 110 but quickly started to bog down so I reversed out, discretion being the greater part of valour!

We ended the day at the South Benson Trail hill. Very steep and very muddy with that sticky clay mud that this area has in abundance.

We were forced to stop mid hill to clear some dead fall from the trail and my poor 110 never really found the traction to get any momentum going again. Slid off the edge of the trail into a deep run off channel cut into the hill and became wedged. Paul and his D2 (with traction control that worked very well despite not having very aggressive tyres) managed to pull me back and out the channel. My 110 had the rear quarter panel buried in the bank but the HD bumperetts saved any damage and the only casualty of the day was a rear mudflap. By the time we all got turned around it was time to head home for the bonfire.

No staggering blaze or fireworks this year, just a nice relaxing couple of beers and good company.

All in all a very good day out.

binch

sounds like good clean fun  8)
Cheers, Bill

Matt H

Just got around to washing my 110 after the outing (I know, bad owner) and thank goodness I can use the power wash at work or I'd be out $50 at the pay-n-go car wash.
It would appear that a Defender 110 almost perfectly designed if trapping mud in inaccessible nooks and cranny is the goal!

By the time I had finished an hour after I started there was probably 300lbs of mud on the floor.

The Medicine Hat area was a centre for ceramics and brick making many years ago. Not hard to see why, the clay mud around here seemsideal for such uses.

binch

So now it's nice and shiney 8)
Cheers, Bill