2.5 ltr turbo on a 2.25 ltr engine

Started by Dutchie, April 03, 2017, 03:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dutchie

I was just wondering if any of you have some experience with putting a turbo on my 2.25 3 bearing engine.
Can it be done will the engine hold up etc, dry to get away from my black smoke when I step on it.
Had H&N installed didn't made a difference my stock airfilter is even better. My injection pump is turned up 20% so fuelling pretty good.
Any ideas or do I still not have my timing of the pump correct?
1978 Series III LWT diesel
2006 Range Rover Sport

Red90

Not a good idea my friend.  It would just kill the engine.  When they put the turbo on the 2.5, they beefed up the engine quite a bit.  If you want less smoke, turn down the fueling.  If you want more power, get a different engine.

binch

Cheers, Bill

Red90

Here is the plan....  Take the 3.5 out of the Defender and put it in the Lightweight.  Put a 6.2 from a Chevy pickup in the Defender.   ;D ;D

Trevor

Quote from: Red90 on April 03, 2017, 06:01 PM
Here is the plan....  Take the 3.5 out of the Defender and put it in the Lightweight.  Put a 6.2 from a Chevy pickup in the Defender.   ;D ;D

Sounds like fun for the whole family to me!
"You will be hollow. We shall squeeze you empty, and then we shall fill you with ourselves."
― George Orwell, 1984

Freedom Convoy Truckers -- Canadian Heroes!
Justin Trudeau --Enemy of the People!

Matt H

Quote from: Red90 on April 03, 2017, 06:01 PM

For a minute there I thought a Chevy 6.2 diesel! Yikes.

Back in my Army days, one the REME guys I worked with built a "special" from a rolled Rangie with the 3.9 V8 and a LWT with a rotted chassis and 2.25 petrol. He removed the body off the RR, cut n shut the chassis to fit and dropped the LWT body on top. That thing went like stink. He was planning on amateur rally raid racing with it. I cant remember if he ever got to race it but it sure was a blast hammering around Salisbury Plain. 
No Road Except For Land-Rover.

SpeedyJ

I gave my parts truck (1967 NADA with bad motor and rotten frame) to a coworker. It's now sprung over on Toyota axles with a SBC. I have to admit, I'm starting to like it. He built a new firewall to accommodate the larger transmission, but other then that he says that the SBC fit in pretty nicely.

Red90

Quote from: Matt H on April 04, 2017, 06:35 AMFor a minute there I thought a Chevy 6.2 diesel! Yikes.

Gen 4, 6.2 V8 truck engine with 6L80E.  Everything is made to allow a bolt in conversion to a V8 truck.  Still lots of work and money, but 400 hp with cylinder de-activation giving good mileage sure sounds nice.  I think even the supercharged versions fit, but that may be getting greedy.

pechanec

Also, Cummins is rolling out a repower version of 2.8l for sticking into random things. 170 hp/280 ft-lb or there abouts

Sent from my XP7700 using Tapatalk

Trevor

Quote from: pechanec on April 04, 2017, 09:06 PM
Also, Cummins is rolling out a repower version of 2.8l for sticking into random things. 170 hp/280 ft-lb or there abouts

I believe they're calling that their "Crate Engine" program. They're targeting the Jeep community pretty aggressively with this one too.
"You will be hollow. We shall squeeze you empty, and then we shall fill you with ourselves."
― George Orwell, 1984

Red90

Quote from: Trevor on April 05, 2017, 03:43 PMThey're targeting the Jeep community pretty aggressively with this one too.

It is being EPA certified for use in 2003 and earlier TJs.  This is the only reason for the delay in the release.  As far as I know, they are the first engine manufacturer to get a new engine certified for use in a older vehicle.  The reason for the 2003 cutoff was the the huge reduction in allowable NOX and PM in 2004.  Should be a pretty straightforward swap to a Defender with an NV3550.  On the face of it, it looks like it will all fit without any cutting.

Trevor

Quote from: Red90 on April 05, 2017, 04:10 PM
Quote from: Trevor on April 05, 2017, 03:43 PMThey're targeting the Jeep community pretty aggressively with this one too.

It is being EPA certified for use in 2003 and earlier TJs.  This is the only reason for the delay in the release.  As far as I know, they are the first engine manufacturer to get a new engine certified for use in a older vehicle.  The reason for the 2003 cutoff was the the huge reduction in allowable NOX and PM in 2004.  Should be a pretty straightforward swap to a Defender with an NV3550.  On the face of it, it looks like it will all fit without any cutting.

Good option for us when our Dear Leader imposes vehicle emissions restrictions in the near future.
― George Orwell, 1984

pechanec

About time!

pechanec

The engine, not the emissions restrictions

Red90

Quote from: Red90 on April 05, 2017, 04:10 PM

On sale to the general public this Friday directly from Cummins via their website only.  500 engines initially.

https://cumminsengines.com/repower.aspx