2.5 NA into a FFR Lightweight

Started by camo388, December 03, 2016, 12:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

camo388

Doing some research on fitting a 2.5 NA diesel into my Series 3 Lightweight.  The difficulty came up that my LWT is FFR, complete 24 volt vehicle and the 2.5 uses a 12 volt starter and probably fuel solenoid too.  I had been thinking of ways to make this work and the complications of 2 separate electrical systems.  However when it came up in the "Winch Project" that the Wolf was all 24 volt, I began to wonder if there was a 24 volt starter for the 2.5 NA. 
Turns out there is.  :o   It is the same starter as used in the Wolf, ERR5021.  Same starter works in 200, 300 AND 2.5! Hooray
So now I can keep LWT and it's winch, 24 volt. ;D    Next step, I get to search for a starter and hope it is cheaper than what it costs to convert everything to 12 volt. ::)

Matt H

Isn't Klaus' LWT a FFR 2.5L NA Diesel? The Brits never used diesel powered LWTs but his is Dutch I believe? Perhaps he has a spare or knows where to source a 24v starter?
No Road Except For Land-Rover.

Red90

No, it is a 2.25.  Different starter.

I still think you are overthinking this whole thing.  A 12 Volt starter would be fine and you would not have any issues.

Can you find 24 Volt glow plugs?  Glow plugs are mandatory with those engines.

camo388

Quote from: Red90 on December 03, 2016, 03:09 PM
Can you find 24 Volt glow plugs?  Glow plugs are mandatory with those engines.

If the Wolf is 24 volt, what does it use for glow plugs?  I'm hoping I can get glow plugs, fuel solenoid and starter as the Wolf uses and I'm good to go. :D

Red90

Wolfs use a 300tdi. Completely different type of plugs and fuel solenoid.

binch

Lrseries.com has the starter number you're looking for....
Cheers, Bill

camo388

Quote from: Red90 on December 03, 2016, 09:24 PM
Wolfs use a 300tdi. Completely different type of plugs and fuel solenoid.

Yes I did see that after some research.  I've been on several forums regarding 2.5 into Series or a Lightweight.  Gets a bit confusing after a while as UK members have access to different variations of the same engine.  My engine and gearbox have been rebuilt so ready to put it in.

binch

Quote from: camo388 on December 04, 2016, 09:51 PM
My engine and gearbox have been rebuilt so ready to put it in.

Good to hear Bruce ;D
Cheers, Bill

camo388

I have a 24v starter on order so can basically keep the Lightweight as 24 volt.  There would still be the issue with the 12v glow plugs and fuel solenoid but I do recall being told the voltage for the gas engine ignition/distributor was stepped down from 24 to 12v.  Don't see why I can't use this for the 12v I need for 2 functions.

Red90

The glow plugs are quite high amperage, so I doubt what was  used for a distributor would work.

A distributor is just a simple switch and does not really care about voltage. The coil is the only thing that would care and they normal set voltage with a small resistor.

None of that is useful for the glow plugs. Just run them from one battery.

camo388

Seems using 1 battery may be the way I will need to go. 
I feel better having found a 24v starter for that engine as I have at least reduced the load on 1 battery of the 24v system.  :)

Dutchie

Quote from: camo388 on December 08, 2016, 02:26 PM
I have a 24v starter on order so can basically keep the Lightweight as 24 volt.  There would still be the issue with the 12v glow plugs and fuel solenoid but I do recall being told the voltage for the gas engine ignition/distributor was stepped down from 24 to 12v.  Don't see why I can't use this for the 12v I need for 2 functions.

I run 12 Volt glow plugs in my 24V diesel without problems just have to glow less or you collapse them bin there done that. Not sure if the transformed 12 Volt will have enough power to heat them quickly. I also have a resistor box between my source and the plugs.
1978 Series III LWT diesel
2006 Range Rover Sport

binch

Another LWT in the group!!!!  Excellent....  How many is that now.   Bruce x2, Emad x1, Max x1, Klaus x1 and now Dutchie for 1.    Have I missed any?    And by the sounds of it Dutchie may have a 2.25 diesel too!   That's two in the group.    Good count ;)

When the all british field meet comes up in june it would be great to have most of them there  ::)
Cheers, Bill

Red90

binch

ahhahaha Just figured that out reading the other site   :o
Cheers, Bill